Instruction on how to stop seeding

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Skoez
New User
New User

Instruction on how to stop seeding

Post by Skoez »

So I found out how to make Deluge never seed, period, then have Deluge remove your torrents when they are finished

Before anyone comments about this, I don't care about seeding, and I don't care that some of you want us to seed, it's not going to happen from me, period, I simply just don't care, and I will help anyone that does not want to seed as well.

You follow the same general rules as listed here
viewtopic.php?t=18105

You have to find the preferences_dialog.glade file in your Deluge folder where it's installed, open it in Notepad++ and edit some things

But you tweak some things, so for instance, the default is
property name="adjustment">2 0.5 100 0.10000000000000001 1 0</property>

You change that to this
<property name="adjustment">0 0.00 000 0.00000000000000000 0 0</property>

Once you changed that, save it, Notepad++ will have you save as administrator, do that

Then you open Deluge, go to the Edit tab, then preferences, go to the Queue tab, and under Seeding set the settings to these below
Share Ratio: -0.00
Seed Time Ratio: 0.00
Seed Time: 0
Check green "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches: 0.00"
Check green "Remove torrent when share ratio reached"

This will make it so you don't seed at all, and when your download finishes it automatically removes itself, keeping your Deluge clean.
pwhodges
New User
New User

Re: Instruction on how to stop seeding

Post by pwhodges »

Skoez wrote:Before anyone comments about this, I don't care about seeding, and I don't care that some of you want us to seed, it's not going to happen from me, period, I simply just don't care, and I will help anyone that does not want to seed as well.
You do realise, do you, that torrenting only works at all because of seeding? If enough people were as selfish as you seem to make yourself out to be, there would be no torrents for you to leech.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry butting in on that, and just again wanted to reiterate, that if following OPs instructions(only), then you still can/will upload if need for it in swarm, but just not continue that after the fact i.e seeding. However I obviously agree with your sentiment i.e selfish and not cool, though also as stated, a few places where arguably can possibly be regarded as semi OK(well, not OK, but maybe considered somewhat acceptable despite).

I also agree that advertising such behavior arguably is wrong, but as stated is supported in daemon and in all UIs(and several other clients), without code-changes(and which is what I'm mostly talking about in this thread, so supported behavour I'm referring to and no hack), except when actually opening preferences in GTKUI(and maybe webUI) and changing some setting(actually just opening preferences and closing is enough I distantly seem to remember), which is why I stated it's inconsistent(as said, even changing preferences with deluge-console, doesn't inforce that seeding-limit neither).

Anyway, I hope I'm making myself clear here and not sounding like an a**hole for talking/elaborating to the uninitiated about this here(default options and not code-changes) ;)

Of course it's absolutely correct what pwhodges stating i.e that if we all did what OP suggest, then no bittorrent network available, as not even no initial seeder, though of-course you don't publish a torrent without seeding it initially, but regardless, also afterwards would make many/most torrents un-downloadable unless being very lucky and getting all pieces through peers only and no seeders(files available), which isn't a continually working scenario I'm sure.
Skoez
New User
New User

Post by Skoez »

pwhodges wrote:
Skoez wrote:Before anyone comments about this, I don't care about seeding, and I don't care that some of you want us to seed, it's not going to happen from me, period, I simply just don't care, and I will help anyone that does not want to seed as well.
You do realise, do you, that torrenting only works at all because of seeding? If enough people were as selfish as you seem to make yourself out to be, there would be no torrents for you to leech.
Correct, but enough people seed to the point where I can choose not to. If you don't like that or think that's okay, that's not my problem and I'm not going to apologize for it.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

Previously covered in this nearly eleven year old thread, along with criticism.

viewtopic.php?t=18105
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks gderf interesting, damn that's a long time lol :) I also remember a ticket made for this several years old, but don't know if was rejected, ignored or unseen/missed. I also some years ago mentioned this in bypassing in a bug-ticket about something else, where I explained it was inconsistent and recommending going one way or another, fully, i.e either enforce the limit everywhere/all-the-time, or ditch the limit from GTKUI preferences and possibly webUI preferences, for consistencies sake, but obviously fell through the cracks or how it's put :)
Skoez
New User
New User

Post by Skoez »

gderf wrote:Previously covered in this nearly eleven year old thread, along with criticism.

viewtopic.php?t=18105
Not really, it covers it to an extent, but his method still requires you to seed a little bit, the method I posted doesn't require any seeding at all and will automatically delete the torrent once the download is finished with ZERO seeding.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Off-topic, but may I ask how you believe you disable uploading(not talking seeding here, but you stated before to have disabled uploading too). BTW, I never even thought about you possibly can set upload limit to 0 in libtorrent/ltconfig/deluge(too lazy now to check/look-up it myself honestly), but I believe it's an estimate which is allowed to swing slightly over/under and just uses the defined value as general reference point, though could be wrong of-course.

Also, In gderf's posted link, the OP just gave an example of how to omit the imposed limit and yourself be in charge for the limit and in his case he chose 0.1 as default minimum, but was just proof of concept simply I'd guess, but just again wanted to reiterate if got lost in my long explanations, that you actually don't need code-changes for this, if not opening preferences dialog, and if do, then afterwards reset the setting to zero in core.conf or use deluge-console to set it. Not my recommendation at all, in fact I discourage it, without "proper/acceptable" cause, for a minimal amount of people, and again, I'm referring to supported behavior for the daemon, deluge-console and all other UIs when not opening preferences.
aurther
New User
New User

Post by aurther »

Set the minimum number of available seeds under “Seeding Goal” to 0. Select (tick) the check box for limit the upload rate to (kB/s): [0 = stop] under “When uTorrent Reaches the Seeding Goal”, and set its value to 0. That's it.DQFanSurvey
Last edited by aurther on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hmm, yeah I read you cannot disable upload in utorrent normally, but could indirectly(but writer confuses seeding with uploading in general, as is often the case), like you posted above, though for utorrent, not deluge. I did read a pretty old post on there board where one asked for such and was answered that the settings didn't allow for such behaviour, and e.g. the restricting upload speed have 0 as unlimited etc. Your example is doing this for seeding, but that is different for uploading in general, i.e. you can upload without seeding, and seeding only comes into effect after download finished and not during.

Possible there is deluge options also stopping this, or libtorrent options, and I honestly don't wanna waste time looking this up more thoroughly, but a very quick lookup showed a one year old post on libtorrent bug-tracker on github where one stated he couldn't find settings to do that in the documentation(and he was interessted because some countries allow only downloading legally but not uploading, like I believe e.g. for Amsterdam/netherlands, if I remember right from article I once read describing the torrenting laws of different countries), and lead-dev Arvid then stated:
the first that come to mind would be to write a plugin that swallows all incoming REQUEST messages, an d also prevent HAVE messages and BITFIELD messages from being sent.

Source: https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/3592

Again, this is, atleast for me and my involvement in this thread, strictly a technical/theoretical discussion, and in no way a recommendation/suggestion/instructions or alike ;)