Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Gizmo
New User
New User

Magnet links refuse to associate [necro'd with fix.]

Post by Gizmo »

Hi! long time Deluge user here.
Running windows 10.

it's been bothering me for a while now (read several months).
during one of the big updates, I think the Fall Creators update, magnet links got dis-associated from Deluge. clicking them in chrome or Edge does nothing. checking in Regedit the keys are empty, even if I try to reinstall Deluge, or use Settings to try and associate them. I also tried to manually fill in the command to Deluge's install location but that disappeared as well after I reopened regedit!

I'm not sure what's going on, anyone have any clues?
Last edited by Gizmo on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhertz

Re: Magnet links refuse to associate

Post by mhertz »

Curtesy of fellow forum-member Piney:
undrline wrote:
Piney wrote:I recently had the same issue after installing u_torrent. I need 2 torrent programs because of private trackers that do not allow DHT.
U_torrent associated itself with magnet links which I didn't want it to do and the button in the deluge settings doesn't actually do anything.
I scoured the internet for about an hour trying to find a solution because the link in this post is dead.

To resolve this issue in 64bit windows open notepad and copy the following text:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet]
@="URL:MAGNET URI"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Deluge\\deluge.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Deluge\\deluge.exe \"%1\""
Save as, choose desktop as the location and "all files" as file type then call it something like mag.reg
once you run the reg file hey presto magnets now working with deluge again.

If you have 32bit windows use the following

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet]
@="URL:MAGNET URI"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Deluge\\deluge.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\magnet\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Deluge\\deluge.exe \"%1\""
Works on Windows 10 Pro 64bit as well.
Source: viewtopic.php?t=39917#p195749
Gizmo
New User
New User

Post by Gizmo »

mhertz wrote:Curtesy of fellow forum-member Piney:
Hi, thanks for trying to help. I've gotten the registry keys to stick. I've compared them letter by letter to my laptop where it still works. it's identical to this reg file. I did save it down and added the keys to my registry (they are identical to what was already in there!) and it's still not working!

the registry for magnet links looks exactly the same!
on Desktop = not working
on laptop = working.

both running latest Win10 updates and chrome with deluge 1.3.15.

I am going crazy :(

shot a video to help illustrate my problem. excuse the hurried voice it's late. and inb4 "lol animenerd" :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqJnCO-no4 (unlisted)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

There are several different "fixes" I found from googling this, and found a single page which lists all the fixes i've read about in one page, so check it out and also the comments as they come with a few suggestions too which helped others out where the main article steps didn't.

https://www.metserve.com/blog/magnet-li ... ith-chrome

Good luck! :)

(Also, rerun the deluge-installer to re-set the assoc's).
Gizmo
New User
New User

Post by Gizmo »

mhertz wrote:There are several different "fixes" I found from googling this, and found a single page which lists all the fixes i've read about in one page, so check it out and also the comments as they come with a few suggestions too which helped others out where the main article steps didn't.

https://www.metserve.com/blog/magnet-li ... ith-chrome

yeah it's the same stuff I've already tried.

I have rerun the installer like 10 times, btw associations on the pc for .torrent files was never an issue, always worked.
it's only magnetlinks that won't work even though the registry is correct and from the looks of it chrome IS trying to open the link.

either completely blind missing something obvious in the registry or windows is somehow blocking it.

but then again it works just fine on my laptop :'(
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, that's a bummer.

Try ctrl+shift+del and unselect all items and on advanced tab select just 'content settings', to reset chrome content settings back to default.

If not working, personally I would install qbittorrent or other free app and select associate magnets and see if that works to rule out a deluge issue and if that works uninstall qbittorrent and reinstall deluge.

Sorry, otherwise out of ideas - if only you where on linux i'd know exactly how magnets are controlled from chromium(xdg-open/desktop-files) :(
Selphea
New User
New User

Post by Selphea »

Seems to be a Windows 10 update changing how URL associations are handled. Chrome Privacy settings and Content Handlers led me on a wild goose chase till I figured out Chrome lets Windows associations handle this now.

On Windows 10 itself, Deluge's "Associate Magnet links with Deluge" button handles most of the work. However, Win10 Fall Creator's seems to have a new requirement now, a URL protocol needs to have a key called "URL Protocol":

1. Open Regedit
2. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet
3. Create a new String called "URL Protocol". Doesn't need to be a value, just needs to be there.

The result should look like this:

Only figured this out through a random guess while looking at other URL Protocol Handlers that work, but it works for me.
Stacey9911
New User
New User

Post by Stacey9911 »

mhertz wrote:There are several different "fixes" I found from googling this, and found a single page which lists all the fixes i've read about in one page, so check it out and also the comments as they come with a few suggestions too which helped others out where the main article steps didn't.

https://www.metserve.com/blog/magnet-li ... th-chrome/vidmate

I have rerun the installer like 10 times, btw associations on the pc for .torrent files was never an issue, always worked.
it's only magnet links that won't work even though the registry is correct and from the looks of it chrome IS trying to open the link.
Gizmo
New User
New User

Post by Gizmo »

Revisiting this problem, still the same on my desktop...
I found a fix.

I used Edge browser, tried opening a magnet link.
The windows file association window popped up "what program do you want to use to handle this filetype"
Select deluge. win. it works. EUREKA!

Works in chrome now too.
windows is weird.
dkoviessen
New User
New User

Re: Magnet links refuse to associate [necro'd with fix.]

Post by dkoviessen »

Thank you @Selphea. Adding the "URL Protocol" string worked perfectly. This has been driving me crazy forever.