How do I move Appdata files to Deluge's folder?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
deluge001

How do I move Appdata files to Deluge's folder?

Post by deluge001 »

Can someone tell me how to put all the configuration files into Deluge's own folder? I don't want it in Appdata. I found a topic (http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... le#p117535) where someone said to use a command line option to change it but I don't know how to do that. I am using Win7 x64.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: How do I move Appdata files to Deluge's folder?

Post by Cas »

If you use the '-c' option with deluge.exe it will change the config dir, something like this:

Code: Select all

deluge.exe -c 'C:\Program Files\Deluge\config'
deluge001

Post by deluge001 »

So I make a shortcut to deluge.exe and in the target field it should look like: "D:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe" -c 'D:\Program Files\Deluge\config'
where 'config' is a folder that everything from Appdata\Roaming\deluge goes. Is this correct?
deluge001

Post by deluge001 »

Ok I got it to work. Your example needed double quotes instead of single though. So in my shortcut's target field it is: "D:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe" -c "D:\Program Files\Deluge\config"
deluge001

Post by deluge001 »

I have another problem now. I use a sandbox for my browser. When I open a torrent in my browser it won't use the Deluge shortcut I created. It'll use the .exe so my configuration files don't get used. Is there a way to fix this?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

You could hard code the path for appDataPath in common.py but a simpler solution might be to create a deluge.cmd batch script. This should work if put in in Deluge app directory:

start deluge.exe -c "config"
deluge001

Post by deluge001 »

Firefox doesn't let me choose deluge.cmd as an application to start the torrent. Only .exe and .com. files are selectable.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Ok then the best solution is to manually set the path to default to the Deluge program dir.

You will need to download this file: http://git.deluge-torrent.org/deluge/pl ... 1.3-stable

Then find:

appDataPath = os.environ.get("APPDATA")
and replace with:

appDataPath = "D:\Program Files\Deluge\config"
Save and Copy common.py into D:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge-1.3.6-py2.6.egg\deluge

You should remove the '-c' option from your shortcut and the default config path will now be:

D:\Program Files\Deluge\config\deluge
deluge001

Post by deluge001 »

Yay it worked. Thank you for the help, it's much appreciated.

Maybe you could make the Deluge folder one of the two default folders for the configuation files? I know utorrent allows this. You can move the files from appdata to the install folder and it works without any modification.
book_guy
New User
New User

Post by book_guy »

This thread was helpful to me. Here is a summary of what I figured out from it:

Deluge as Portable

Helpful for hiding records of Deluge's downloads and settings. With this method, Deluge's temporary files,
including .torrent files, settings, and the states of all in-progress downloads, will be stored on a portable drive.
There will be scant record of Deluge on any other drive (but firewall exceptions and some other settings will be
recorded on the C:\ drive registry). Consequently, removal of the portable drive means instant removal of most
important Deluge traces. If Deluge itself is also set to download and save to that portable drive, then removal of
that portable drive means removal of the software, the important traces, and the downloads themselves, a
very quick and handy way to cover your traces.

HOW TO set up and run Deluge as a Portable App from a Portable Drive

Presume the portable drive is drive-letter Q.

1. Install Deluge onto portable drive. Simply double-click the installer and put Deluge in 
		Q:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge

2. DO NOT RUN DELUGE. 

3. Put all Deluge configuration files onto portable drive. Drag them to 
		Q:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\Configs
	and delete any C:\ versions. They are usually found in C:\Users\User-name\AppData\Roaming\deluge.

4. Make a shortcut for the portable Deluge and configs. 
		a. Create shortcut.
		Find Q:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\deluge.exe
		Right click it. 
		Choose "Create Shortcut". Then ...

b. Direct the shortcut to use the new Configs.
		Find the shortcut. Right click it. 
		Choose "Properties". 
		In the "Target" field, change it to this 
		"Q:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\deluge.exe" -c "Q:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\Configs"
		INCLUDE the quotation marks. They must be upright non-curly double-quotes. There are FOUR of them. 

c. Keep the shortcut handy ON THE PORTABLE DRIVE. 

5. Always Run as Portable
	Double-click the shortcut on the portable drive. Other methods of running Deluge will create new configs (as in step 3).

6. Always save Deluge's downloads to the Portable drive too.
Some op-sys setups find the space-character in a program-path to be problematic.
You may modify folder and sub-folder names as you wish. I use just plain "Q:\Deluge"
as the root software folder, excluding the "Program Files (x86)" portion, for instance.