[Solved] Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat is slow

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Menpachi Hibachi

[Solved] Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat is slow

Post by Menpachi Hibachi »

This past weekend I upgraded my deluged system from Ubuntu 10.04 server with a custom kernel to Ubuntu 10.10 server with the official kernel. But things have become slow and I am out of ideas to check.

I had been running deluged 1.2.3 and now am using the 1.3.0 packaged with Ubuntu 10.10. The OS upgrade also brought me up to the most recent version of libtorrent-rasterbar.

I normally run deluged with ~1500 torrents and consistently max out my 4MB/s upload bandwidth. But after the ubuntu upgrade I am lucky to get 2MB/s.

I think there are less peers than I am used to seeing. The number of active torrents in the state window is now usually in the 15-20 range while I remember it previously being in the 40+ range.

I have verified that all incoming connections are being accepted at the tcp level (wireshark doesn't show any rejected TCP connections) and I can bounce on the "test active port" button and get a green light 100% of the time.

I've got the unix rlimit configured for a maximum of 4000 open files per process so I don't think I'm running into a limit there.

Everything on the Bandwidth preferences page is set to -1 for unlimited.
On the Queue preferences page I have
Total active: 9999
Total active downloading: 299
Total active seeding: 1999
Do not count slow torrents: YES

I've noticed that when I get a fast peer, he can pull a lot of bandwidth on that specific connection, so I think it must have something to do with what appears to be a fewer number of peers/active torrents.

CPU utilization as reported by top is about half a core on a 4-core system. The system generally has at least two cores idle.

According to iotop disk IO is about 6MB/s - roughly 3x the network bandwidth which is about the same ratio when it was working right (12MB/s disk IO for 4MB/s network IO).

Memory use is about 1GB virtual, 600MB resident which is inline with what I saw before the OS upgrade.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Menpachi Hibachi on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robotDA

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat is slow

Post by robotDA »

I'm facing the same problem. I'm running regular 10.10 Meerkat.

It seems to me each torrent upload speed is capped at 50kb/s even though I set them to be at 400kb/s. Can't figure out what's wrong.

Is this a bug?
sb4100
New User
New User

Post by sb4100 »

same here, torrents are dead slow when seeding, usually mbs just 100 or so kbs
thorup

Post by thorup »

Trying deluge 1.3.1 for the first time and the speeds are really slow uploading as well. If I try with a different client my line maxes out. It doesn't seem to see as many peers/stay connected to them. Pretty sure I have it configured correctly as well.
Menpachi Hibachi

To follow up, I ran the daemon with debug logging turned on and I am seeing a ton of messages like the following:

[DEBUG ] 20:14:29 alertmanager:123 performance_alert: Sita1080FLAC.mkv: performance warning: send buffer watermark too low (upload rate will suffer)

By "a ton" I mean roughly 30 per second for a couple of seconds in a row for each torrent that has peers actively downloading from me.

Google turned up no leads as to the meaning of that warning.
Menpachi Hibachi

Fixed it.

First off, the watermark warnings were mostly a red herring. I fixed them and it did not improve utilization.
So I poked around the source code for libtorrent and noticed a function "session::high_performance_seed()" that set a bunch of variables designed to maximize seeding performance. Using those variables as a guide, I edited deluge/core/core.py starting at line 91 where it said:

Code: Select all

# Set the user agent
        self.settings = lt.session_settings()

and I added the following lines:

Code: Select all

self.settings.send_buffer_watermark = 5 * 1024 * 1024
        self.settings.file_pool_size = 500
        self.settings.allow_multiple_connections_per_ip = True
        self.settings.cache_size = 32768
        self.settings.use_read_cache = True
        self.settings.cache_buffer_chunk_size = 128
        self.settings.read_cache_line_size = 512
        self.settings.write_cache_line_size = 512
        self.settings.low_prio_disk = False
        self.settings.cache_expiry = 60 * 60
        self.settings.close_redundant_connections = True
        self.settings.max_rejects = 10
        self.settings.optimize_hashing_for_speed = True
        self.settings.request_timeout = 10
        self.settings.peer_timeout = 20
        self.settings.inactivity_timeout = 20
        self.settings.active_limit = 2000
        self.settings.active_seeds = 2000
        self.settings.auto_upload_slots = False
        self.settings.max_failcount = 1
I realize some of these are also configurable through the cache settings dialog, but I just went with everything from the high_performance_seed() function to be sure all of my bases were covered. WIth these new settings I am back to 50+ peers and am actually pushing out 5MB+/sec so its an improvement over the previous version of deluged and libtorrent.

I can't say which specific setting fixed it, after trying the disk watermark one by itself I just added all of the others at once and now that everything is working great I don't want to fiddle with it.
Symbiot

Re: [Solved] Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat is slow

Post by Symbiot »

just tried your settings... will see how it goes..

I've been experiencing torrents slowing down, then stopping alltogether, the starting up again..
m
jorricks

Post by jorricks »

Where can I find the deluge/core/core.py as I really want to set high performance seeding settings :)
XxOsurfer3xX
Leecher
Leecher

Post by XxOsurfer3xX »

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/deluge/core in Ubuntu.

For me it worked well, but with a couple settings more.