What's the point of limiting conections?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
epileftric

What's the point of limiting conections?

Post by epileftric »

What's the point of limiting the up/down connection speed if the program is going to do what ever it pleases? I don't limit the speed just because... My ISP is a peace of cr*p... and my upload bandwidth is really small, so if the torrent uses more than that 20~25 kb/s I can't do ANYTHING at all on-line. And really I have no problem in seeding... actually I leave the computer all day long on, so it seeds 24/7...

So please... could somebody explain me why would deluge show me an speed 200/5* (down/up), but if you use a monitor like NetHogs it actually uses 150/55*. It looks like it's always hiding some of the upstream under the downstream...

[*]: those are example numbers, but they keep that proportion usually
Attachments
screen capture...
screen capture...
deluge.png (215.82 KiB) Viewed 10637 times
Darlok
New User
New User

Re: What's the point of limiting conections?

Post by Darlok »

With over 900 connections and those settings, you are going to be seeing quite a bit of overhead (not reported in actual torrent stats). If your uplink is that slow, or if you have to limit it to 20kb/s, you need to wax the -1 for connection limits and bring it down to something sane like 2 or 3. Also, you are pounding the line for more connections to the tune of 40 times a second, causing you even more overhead. I don't think that keeping ignore limits on local network is helping you much, but I could be wrong.

Pretty sure if you clean up those settings you'll be seeing much better results.
Lazybones
Leecher
Leecher

Re: What's the point of limiting conections?

Post by Lazybones »

You Also do not have "Rate limit IP overhead" enabled... If you turn that on you will see the speed are much closer to your limit... However as Darlok pointed out, you have set no limit on connections or upload slots on what you are telling us is a very slow connection.. Thus instead of downloading stuff your bandwidth limit will probably be filled up with handshake requests to other clients and other non sense.

Cut your connections down
Enable Rate limit IP overhead

and you should probably see improvements.