Deluge Caching Problem!?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
azmodan

Deluge Caching Problem!?

Post by azmodan »

Hi all, I have gone from rTorrent reaching 30-40MB's max, to Deluge nearly maxing out the full 1GB line. :lol:

On average in Deluge, I see around 70-80MB/s while downloading. When I'm downloading a larger file (>10GB or so) it will hit the speeds I stated for 10-15 seconds, then virtually stall, most of the time dropping other seeding torrents in the process. Over a short period of time it picks up speed again.

I have fiddled with the cache settings, from small increments all the way to setting it to 12GB and it seems better on the default values.

Basically I cant find much online, what I have found doesn't really explain the purpose of the command. Does anyone know if there are command line settings for the read/write cache that could help?

It seems to need to stop everything temporarily to write to the hdd. I know the server can handle the constant speeds etc, just seems there's a bottleneck that is fixable.

--------------

Kimsufi 24G / Gbit

Debian 6 - 64Bit

Deluge Client: 1.3.5
Deluge Server: 1.3.5

libtorrent: 0.14.10.0

--------------

Thanks
Azmodan
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge Caching Problem!?

Post by Cas »

I know that libtorrent move_storage() method will block all other diskio and cause drop in data rates so could be same/similar issue. You could ask on the libtorrent mailing list for further details on tweaking.

Also the most recent stable libtorrent is 0.15.10, I am not sure if it will make any difference but could be worth trying. There is a 0.16 release but we do not recommend using with Deluge 1.3.
lvm
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Deluge Caching Problem!?

Post by lvm »

In my case such behavior is caused by full file allocation - deluge or libtorrent takes quite a while to pre-allocate a large file, judgung by disk activity it tries to fill it all with zeroes or something and stops everything else until done. Switching to the compact allocation mode fixes this issue but then files get fragmented as hell.