1.3.0 deluged window stays open

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
loki

1.3.0 deluged window stays open

Post by loki »

With classic mode disabled and using deluged for webui the deluged "command" window stays open, and stays on the taskbar. Previous versions it used to appear very briefly when starting and then disappear but now it's just a blank window that has to stay open. The window does also open, and stay open, if classic mode is set and you start the webui.

Well, I can't be the only one having this problem... but no other posts yet?
crxyem
New User
New User

Re: 1.3.0 deluged window stays open

Post by crxyem »

I'm having the same issue
LordS

Post by LordS »

same for me, except when it starts with windows.

If close and reopen it does it.
CoinTos
New User
New User

Post by CoinTos »

They removed Startx.exe and .cmd windows with this release. The simpliest solution is download the Startx.exe from the developers website. Extract it to your deluge folder or its own and create a shortcut or .cmd text file with the following:

"C:\Program Files\Deluge\StartX.exe" /B "C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluged.exe"

Note that the first part with startx.exe can be changed to where ever you extracted it.

http://www.naughter.com/startx.html

Hope this helps as it worked for me with a shortcut in my start menu startup folder.
loki

Post by loki »

That's stupid, quite honestly... should it really be necessary to find and "install" another program to get proper function out of a program that used to function perfectly fine in previous versions?
And still, it wouldn't work as expected because the deluge.exe calls the deluged.exe directly when needed, it wouldn't use "said" shortcut program.

The developer should just fix the exe files so that it makes the window hidden like it used to. And, unless it's changed radically recently, it's not like we could compile it ourselves because apparently compiling for windows takes an amazing amount of patience and all sorts of dependencies set up.
CoinTos
New User
New User

Post by CoinTos »

Well, I myself don't use the gui or such to start the daemon, I have it start on my windows login and that works for me. But I do see your point on how it can be a pain for those who do use the gui and such to start it. So I guess you can either wait till they fix it or file a bug report to bring it to their attention. I personally don't have to time at the moment to look through the source of the last 1.2 release to tell you for sure if it use to link the start daemon to the cmd files they use to have but my guess is that it used to work that way.
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

CoinTos wrote:Well, I myself don't use the gui or such to start the daemon, I have it start on my windows login and that works for me. But I do see your point on how it can be a pain for those who do use the gui and such to start it. So I guess you can either wait till they fix it or file a bug report to bring it to their attention. I personally don't have to time at the moment to look through the source of the last 1.2 release to tell you for sure if it use to link the start daemon to the cmd files they use to have but my guess is that it used to work that way.
Yeah, there was a change made so that the command prompt wouldn't pop up when loading deluge-gtk, and also allow it to be pinned to the windows 7 task bar. I guess it has some adverse effects when starting the daemon manually though.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

loki wrote:That's stupid, quite honestly... should it really be necessary to find and "install" another program to get proper function out of a program that used to function perfectly fine in previous versions?
Startx was included to prevent the command prompt window from staying open when launching the GTK UI but a better solution has been found and hence it has been removed.
Removing startx has surfaced the underlying issue which is that windows doesn't support os.fork() (if it did the command prompt window would disappear).
So it has always been necessary to use another program to run deluged in the background.

That said, we will look into running deluged and deluge-web in the background (even if it means including startx again) for the next release.