which port to forward? (solved)

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
jalu

which port to forward? (solved)

Post by jalu »

hi,
i am having trouble to understand which port is for what and how to port forward.
under preferences are two entries: networking and daemon.
under networking there are two entries: incoming and outgoing.

i have read here it is safer to just use one port instead of a range. Would i set the incoming ports to just one or the outgoing or both?
Which port do i have got to port forward? incoming, outgoing or the daemon?
thanks
Last edited by jalu on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Re: which port to forward?

Post by loki »

Assuming you have a firewall or a router you'll probably need to forward ports.
If you need to know how to forward ports it's likely best to look at this site, http://portforward.com/

You're going to want to forward the incoming port. This is what is used when other seeders send you data. This would be the one to set as a single port rather than a range. The reason to set a single port rather than a range is so that you can be more secure, generally speaking the more ports/ranges you open the more vulnerable you are making yourself.
Outgoing ports, random should be fine and shouldn't be any need to forward that (since your computer is making the request).

And daemon port only needs to be forwarded if you plan on accessing webui from outside your intranet. (Allow Remote Connections)
jalu

Re: which port to forward? (solved)

Post by jalu »

thanks a lot. that made it clear.
i allready checked the link you gave (and several others), but i didn`t get any further as the terms have not been clear to me.
greetings
QWIKAG

Post by QWIKAG »

WHy has this question never been answered properly.
There is a need for a comprehensive guide on this subject.
from firewalls through to application settings. and everything in between (PORTS).

regardless on router setup, we need general understand of how deluge works.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Deluge works like every other torrent client, so need the incoming port(-range) forwarded(if behind Nat router and/or firewall) for best peer connectivity in swarm. Deluge's FAQ also mentions this btw.

If having any specific issues/questions regarding this, then we're here to help of-course :)