Installing/Windows wiki page could use an update

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
seqn
New User
New User

Installing/Windows wiki page could use an update

Post by seqn »

I'm a Windows user looking at Deluge as a replacement for uTorrent, and I was confused by the wiki page at dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/Windows. The list of dependencies threw me off at first, because I don't want all that stuff installed on my system. However, after poking around in the SVN I found that the Win32 installer now uses bbfreeze, which I assume eliminates most of those dependencies.

So, just to clarify things, two questions:
  • What exactly does the installer (deluge-*-win32-setup.exe) install? Just Deluge (in %PROGRAMFILES%\Deluge) and the GTK+ runtime?
  • Is a standalone Win32 binary download available? Just a zip file we could extract and run?
Thanks!
loki

Re: Installing/Windows wiki page could use an update

Post by loki »

That wiki page definitely needs updating...
You do not need to install the dependencies listed on that site about installing without the installer, in fact it's quite old now, I wouldn't recommend following it, also it was for version 1.1.3 and that file doesn't exist for download anymore.

The installer versions available http://download.deluge-torrent.org/windows/ are most likely the one you'll want to download, they take care of installing the program, dependencies, and also downloading and installing gtk. By default this would be the one that installs in '%PROGRAMFILES%\Deluge'
I believe most if not all the dependencies are .dll files, not complete programs, and are installed in the Deluge folder for use by Deluge only. With the exception of gtk which installs to it's own directory. You're looking at a total installed program Deluge and required gtk of only about 44Mb as of 1.2.0rc1.

I realize if you're coming from utorrent this must be all very different since utorrent uses a single file with everything contained in it and no installation required.
seqn
New User
New User

Re: Installing/Windows wiki page could use an update

Post by seqn »

Thanks for the reply. I've now installed 1.2.0-rc2 and it seems to be working fine. %PROGRAMFILES%\Deluge is only 25.8 MB... not bad. :)