Plugin vs Preferences priority? (About Move + Ratio plugins)

Suggest, post, or discuss plugins for Deluge
yobbobandana

Re: Plugin vs Preferences priority? (About Move + Ratio plugins)

Post by yobbobandana »

markybob wrote:no. i think you two just misunderstood the entire point of what desired ratio is supposed to do. 0 in desired ratio will mean unlimited no matter what you want it to mean, unless you edit the libtorrent source code. and no again, set_ratio was not ignored. the desired ratio isnt meant to be a hard limit at all...this is why it's different than the seeding preferences in the main client. here's the libtorrent manual section that is used by desired ratio http://libtorrent.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... #set-ratio
"set_ratio() sets the desired download / upload ratio. If set to 0, it is considered being infinite. i.e. the client will always upload as much as it can, no matter how much it gets back in return. With this setting it will work much like the standard clients.
Besides 0, the ratio can be set to any number greater than or equal to 1. It means how much to attempt to upload in return for each download. e.g. if set to 2, the client will try to upload 2 bytes for every byte received. The default setting for this is 0, which will make it work as a standard client."
While I understand what the desired_ratio is supposed to do now, it's not at all obvious that's the purpose of the plugin. With the only prominent "ratio" being the ratio of total uploaded to total downloaded data, I think most users would assume this is the ratio that is implied. Especially as there is a preference setting to stop seeding when it reaches a certain point, but no setting for the default desired_ratio.

I always thought it just didn't work because that's what I expected it to do. I have a need to override the default stop-seeding ratio on a per-torrent basis, but no need to change the default setting for the general desired transfer ratio.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

yobbobandana wrote:
markybob wrote:no. i think you two just misunderstood the entire point of what desired ratio is supposed to do. 0 in desired ratio will mean unlimited no matter what you want it to mean, unless you edit the libtorrent source code. and no again, set_ratio was not ignored. the desired ratio isnt meant to be a hard limit at all...this is why it's different than the seeding preferences in the main client. here's the libtorrent manual section that is used by desired ratio http://libtorrent.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... #set-ratio
"set_ratio() sets the desired download / upload ratio. If set to 0, it is considered being infinite. i.e. the client will always upload as much as it can, no matter how much it gets back in return. With this setting it will work much like the standard clients.
Besides 0, the ratio can be set to any number greater than or equal to 1. It means how much to attempt to upload in return for each download. e.g. if set to 2, the client will try to upload 2 bytes for every byte received. The default setting for this is 0, which will make it work as a standard client."
While I understand what the desired_ratio is supposed to do now, it's not at all obvious that's the purpose of the plugin. With the only prominent "ratio" being the ratio of total uploaded to total downloaded data, I think most users would assume this is the ratio that is implied. Especially as there is a preference setting to stop seeding when it reaches a certain point, but no setting for the default desired_ratio.

I always thought it just didn't work because that's what I expected it to do. I have a need to override the default stop-seeding ratio on a per-torrent basis, but no need to change the default setting for the general desired transfer ratio.
yeah...i really wish we had some help documenting. it's a bit late for you guys, but i added an FAQ entry about it ...for posterity and such :p http://deluge-torrent.org/faq.php#6n53
Ubugenko

Post by Ubugenko »

Ux64 wrote:(...)It also causes a problem, because move complete torrent plugin doesn't clearly have time to move torrent before it's removed from list by preferences(...)
Damned ! That was it ! I had this problem for quite some time, and was desperatly searching for a solution. Thanks ux64 ! You made it clear to me now :)