RSS Plugin - first release

Suggest, post, or discuss plugins for Deluge
SatNav

RSS Plugin - first release

Post by SatNav »

So I've been working on this RSS plugin for maybe a little over a month - and today it's finally in a working state!

First things first: It's buggy. Buggy as ALL. HELL. Here are the two biggest bugs I know about:

1. For some reason, the method I use for loading torrents into deluge seems a little broken. They load in and start and finish ok, but there seems to be some kind of 'missing handler' error or something. At this point I'm not sure what the full ramifications of this are, but I do know that deleting the torrents from your list can be finicky, and there are probably some other problems related as well. Any feedback on this (particularly from the devs) would be much appreciated.

2. The date checking, when filtering for new RSS entries is a little broken. Basically, after you've entered a new feed, you have to set up all the filters for that feed before the next update, otherwise you'll miss any entries that are in the feed for filters you added after the update. This shouldn't be a huge problem, since updates are set to happen roughly every 15 minutes (though it seems longer), so you should have plenty of time.

and the rest: There are bound to be plenty of other problems, from the silly little GUI niggles which I know about, to the stonking great logic problems which I've completely blanked on. As before, all bug reports, comments, problems, suggestions etc are welcome - either post them here or PM me, and hopefully they'll all get seen to at some point.

To install the plugin, just empty the contents of the archive into '~/.config/deluge/plugins/RSS', then restart deluge. I can't be arsed to write a full blown user guide. Just add feeds, then add filters. The filter expression is 100% literal. case sensitive, everything. if you're downloading TV shows, I recommend http://tvrss.net

Good luck, and let me know how you get on,
Mark.

PS. If you're reporting a bug, run deluge in a terminal, and you'll see that the plugin spews out debug data - a transcript of the output to go with the report would be great. Cheers!

edit: I added the it to the plugins page of the wiki
Attachments
RSS.tar.gz
RSS Plugin
(38.32 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: RSS Plugin - first release

Post by markybob »

SatNav wrote:So I've been working on this RSS plugin for maybe a little over a month - and today it's finally in a working state!

First things first: It's buggy. Buggy as ALL. HELL. Here are the two biggest bugs I know about:

1. For some reason, the method I use for loading torrents into deluge seems a little broken. They load in and start and finish ok, but there seems to be some kind of 'missing handler' error or something. At this point I'm not sure what the full ramifications of this are, but I do know that deleting the torrents from your list can be finicky, and there are probably some other problems related as well. Any feedback on this (particularly from the devs) would be much appreciated.

2. The date checking, when filtering for new RSS entries is a little broken. Basically, after you've entered a new feed, you have to set up all the filters for that feed before the next update, otherwise you'll miss any entries that are in the feed for filters you added after the update. This shouldn't be a huge problem, since updates are set to happen roughly every 15 minutes (though it seems longer), so you should have plenty of time.

and the rest: There are bound to be plenty of other problems, from the silly little GUI niggles which I know about, to the stonking great logic problems which I've completely blanked on. As before, all bug reports, comments, problems, suggestions etc are welcome - either post them here or PM me, and hopefully they'll all get seen to at some point.

To install the plugin, just empty the contents of the archive into '~/.config/deluge/plugins/RSS', then restart deluge. I can't be arsed to write a full blown user guide. Just add feeds, then add filters. The filter expression is 100% literal. case sensitive, everything. if you're downloading TV shows, I recommend http://tvrss.net

Good luck, and let me know how you get on,
Mark.

PS. If you're reporting a bug, run deluge in a terminal, and you'll see that the plugin spews out debug data - a transcript of the output to go with the report would be great. Cheers!

edit: I added the it to the plugins page of the wiki
any updates on this? newer, less buggy releases?
SatNav

Re: RSS Plugin - first release

Post by SatNav »

any updates on this? newer, less buggy releases?
Yes indeed. I've been working fairly solidly for the last week, and have just about finished. I'm posting the new version in a separate topic, so it'll be easier to spot.