[feature req] stop button and function

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

[feature req] stop button and function

Post by abubin »

there are currently only resume and pause function in deluge. Problem is, there are sometimes some torrents that I do not want it to download/seed. I just want to manually start that torrent whenever I want. With current resume/pause method, it doesn't work that well. Especially when I restarted deluge, the torrent will always start running.

I request a "stop" function in torrent. With torrents in stop function, I can manage the torrents much easier. No need to constantly selecting a torrent and click on pause again and again.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: [feature req] stop button and function

Post by markybob »

abubin wrote:Especially when I restarted deluge, the torrent will always start running.
that's not true. if the torrent is paused when deluge closes, it'll start paused. so there is absolutely no difference between pause and this "stop" that you want.
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by abubin »

fine then. Maybe it's a lot of restarting of deluge that's confusing me. Anyway, wouldn't it be better to have a stopped torrent shown as "stop" instead of just pause? It make no difference from another torrent that is queued for download. So, when I have 10 torrents in queue, I won't know which one I have stopped and which one is in queue. I just need to click and click to make sure they are queued and stopped.
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

I think the issue here (at least the issue that I am having), is that there is no way to tell whether a torrent is queued (and will be automatically started when a queue spot opens) or paused (will never be started because an user has manually paused it).
orra
New User
New User

Post by orra »

gazpachoking wrote:I think the issue here (at least the issue that I am having), is that there is no way to tell whether a torrent is queued (and will be automatically started when a queue spot opens) or paused (will never be started because an user has manually paused it).
Agreed. I also get confused by that ;).

This can come up a lot e.g. if you use the Scheduler plugin. This disables torrents by changing the maximum active torrents setting to 0, which isn't ideal. When it's active, you can click resume on a paused torrent, but nothing will happen. There's no UI feedback, so you can scratch your head for a minute.

Maybe instead of each torrent just having a single paused property, torrents should be able to have more than one pause on them. What I mean is that the scheduler plugin could set a pause[scheduler_plugin] flag on each torrent. Then the UI could say "Paused by scheduler". When you reach a time that the scheduler no longer wants to disable torrents, the scheduler can remove that flag on each torrent. Then torrents will resume, or not, depending on whether they have other pause flags set. Manually pausing a torrent could put a pause[manual] flag on each torrent you pause. Then the UI could say "[manually] paused" or "stopped". If a torrent is paused because you've reached the maximum active torrents, it could set a pause[maximum_active_torrents] flag, and then the UI could display "Queued".
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by abubin »

ok, i found the problem.

When a torrent AAA download is completed, it will go into seeding mode. But when there are too many seeding, AAA will be paused. Normally I have other seeds running so, I do not want this AAA to disturb the by taking the upload bandwidth. Since AAA is already in pause mode, if I press pause on it, there's no effect. So once there are available seeding slot, AAA will be seeded automatically. If there are stop function, then I don't need to worry about this problem.

For now, I need to make AAA into seeding and then only press pause to stop it from seeding later. And sometimes, I forgot which one are really paused and which aren't so I need to redo the whole process constantly.
yobbobandana

Post by yobbobandana »

I wrote a quick patch which should fix the status label for paused torrents. It labels torrents paused by the queue as "Queued" and torrents paused by the user as "Paused". It also allows you to pause and unpause queued torrents.

http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/601
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

yobbobandana wrote:I wrote a quick patch which should fix the status label for paused torrents. It labels torrents paused by the queue as "Queued" and torrents paused by the user as "Paused". It also allows you to pause and unpause queued torrents.

http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/601
thanks, i'll commit this