Is this project abandoned?

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
rrrevin
New User
New User

Is this project abandoned?

Post by rrrevin »

I'm getting of the opinion that Deluge is now abandoned by the author. There has been very little, if any, activity over the past year by him. I hope this isn't the case, as this is a great program.

I get it people like to move on to other things. That's OK. Life moves on for all of us. But if the main dev(s) have moved on, at least communicate it here and offer to officially the pass the torch to someone else who might want to step up. (Not me)

Hope some others can chime in here.
jukemaster
New User
New User

Re: Is this project abandoned?

Post by jukemaster »

I doubt it. Libtorrent sees daily commits, which is what's most important IMO. I don't see rTorrent moving any faster in development. I think open source torrent clients/servers just moves slowly at this point in the lifecycle. Plus version 2.04dev38 isn't that old. Is there a bug you're battling or a feature that you want to see?
str77
New User
New User

Post by str77 »

I'd enjoy having already merged bugs released... Example: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55767

My theory: the other great open source contender based on libtorrent rasterbar, qBitTorrent, is getting so good now, that everybody's loosing interest in deluge.
It's a shame because headless qBitTorrent is a pain to build on embedded devices, because of having to cross-compile the QT dependency.
jools772

Post by jools772 »

jukemaster wrote: Plus version 2.04dev38 isn't that old. Is there a bug you're battling or a feature that you want to see?
Why is it 2.04dev38 and not deluge 2.04?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

It's a build from deluge's develop git branch, and no actual release. Some distros use that "version" in there repos, or people build themselves. It's currently on 38'th commit after last release tag(and master in deluge "terminology")

Edit: If question was about why no v2.0.4 specifically, then sorry, dunno. I'd guess either lack of time, motivation or not deemed ready yet.
jools772

Post by jools772 »

Yeah, but I mean current dev brahc is stable enough to merit a 2.04 release imho. There are already many changes after 2.03 and iirc 2.03 doesn't support python 3.8 so...
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, misunderstood :) I agree of-course.

Maybe Cas wants next release be provided on more than just Linux, and though Lord-Kamina provided a PR for fixing the Mac platform, then windows still has unresolved issues, atleast based from last we heard from Doadin about this.

Edit: I remembered the #3201 ticket, related to providing a windows release, was defined with milestone 2.0.4, hence this post, but I now see that it's changed to 2.1.x, though probably done long ago, as I haven't really checked that.
str77
New User
New User

Post by str77 »

There's plenty of useful bug correction after 2.0.3. One of which avoids a startup crash...
It would really be useful to release an official 2.0.4 to include those.
Some downstream clients rely on github tarballs to upgrade, please consider it.
jools772

Post by jools772 »

Has someone checked compatibility with python 3.9? I think it's already out...

My point is that at the point when we tell people to use 2.04dev38 instead of 2.03, it's time to release 2.04. I understand that there may be some milestones defined for 2.04 but they can be redefined.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Python 3.9 works, yes.

Still a manpower/volunteer issue I think.