[Feature request] Add "average completion" to "Details" tab

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
runeks

[Feature request] Add "average completion" to "Details" tab

Post by runeks »

First I would like to thank the developers for making Deluge. Nothing beats Deluge on Linux IMO. And I love its sleek appearance :)

I have a small request that I'm hoping could be fulfilled.

What I'm looking for is, quite simply, the "average completion" of the peers of a torrent. Quite simply it is the sum of the number of percents complete for each peer (that you have been in contact with) divided by the number of peers (you have been in contact with).

This is very useful when choosing which torrents to seed, since a lower average completion means you can keep uploading data longer on a torrent.
loki

Re: [Feature request] Add "average completion" to "Details" tab

Post by loki »

Wouldn't this be something better to look for at the place you get your torrents from?
runeks

Post by runeks »

I haven't seen any torrent sites providing this information. Besides, I think it would be fairly easy to implement.

Why do you think my torrent provider should provide this information and not my client? Deluge displays the availability, number of peers, etc., why shouldn't it also display the average completion for these peers?
loki

Post by loki »

Because you can't connect to every peer in a swarm, you might get an unrealistic 'average completion,' I don't see it being very reliable.
runeks

Post by runeks »

It's not accurate for the whole swarm, I agree with that. But I don't think it necessarily has to be accurate for the whole swarm to be usable.

Looking at some torrents now, these are connected to the following number of peers out of the total number of peers: 55/68, 12/16, 12/17. That's 80%, 75% and 70% of the total number of peers the client is in contact with respectively. I'm more than satisfied with the "average completion" being based on 70% of the total number of peers. If the average completion is, say, 10% (and we're using the torrent that is connected to the least number of peers out of the total as an example), I know that at least 70% of the peers are missing 90% of the data in the torrent. That information is definitely usable for me. If the rest of the peers, to whom I haven't connected, turned out to have 99% percent of the data in the torrent (which is very unlikely) this information would still be usable for me.
mojoxojom

Post by mojoxojom »

I have to say, it is a minor feature but one that I would use. I used the feature in Azureus to help me easily figure out which torrents needed more seeding attention. I also used the average swarm speed to help me figure out if there might be a problem with one of my torrents downloading slowly... is it that the swarm is slow or is it just that I am slow and need to look into it? Useful stats to have, though not make-or-break features for me. Still... +1