Block HTTP Ports 80 & 443

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
miadown

Block HTTP Ports 80 & 443

Post by miadown »

PeerGuardian 2 has the option to ignore all HTTP traffic on ports 80 and 443. This is a major time and frustration saver, since temporarily unblocking IPs for web browsing gets old fast. But this also leaves an obvious p2p security hole. Azureus and uTorrent have port/service blocking to solve this problem (i.e. they can be made to ignore peers that are using certain ports). Does Deluge have a similar port blocking feature? If not, I would like to see this added in the next release. Also, before anyone mentions the blocklist plugin as a solution here, I prefer PeerGuardian as it takes care of all my p2p traffic in one place, not just the bittorrent traffic.

BTW, I just recently installed the Windows port of version 0.5.5.95, for which I'm grateful to Slurdge. So far it's working very well (almost stable) on my XP system. The FlexRSS plugin is working nicely, too. With the controversy surrounding uTorrent, you guys may be the next #1 bittorrent client. Halite, another Windows libtorrent client, will probably be leaner, since it's a pure C++ system, but Deluge will have the flexibility of Azureus without the Java bloatware. The combination of an efficient C++ back end with a flexible Python front end blows Java clear out of the water, IMO.
scrapmetal
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Block HTTP Ports 80 & 443

Post by scrapmetal »

agreed about the ports. in fact there should be an option to specify your own ports that deluge is banned from using
ubuntu intrepid amd64