feature request: manage download queue by bandwidth

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
lvm
Seeder
Seeder

feature request: manage download queue by bandwidth

Post by lvm »

Currently the only way deluge can manage which torrents are being downloaded and which remain queued is by the quantity of [active] downloading torrents but this is not a very good criteria - one torrent with a strong seed base can max all available bandwidth while ten weak torrents may not be able to do it. I suggest controlling queing by the bandwidth: torrent quantity parameters remain, but if total dowload bandwidth drops below a certain threshold a new torrent is released from the queue, when bandwidth remains above the 'healthy' level for some time extra torrents are queued again.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: feature request: manage download queue by bandwidth

Post by Cas »

There is an option in Preferences->Queue to ignore slow torrents however if you require modified version of this then it would be a libtorrent request. I have seen discussion about ignoring slow torrents, i think on the mailing list, so new options may appear in future versions of libtorrent.
lvm
Seeder
Seeder

Post by lvm »

'Ignore slow torrents' excludes only the torrents with 0 dl speed, it is better than nothing but not enough.

I don't like libtorrent. I mean, guys so much obsessed with sparse files cannot be very smart... and deluge still lacks proper preallocation mode and fragments files as hell.
CSB
Leecher
Leecher

Post by CSB »

Write a plugin to manage it yourself then. :lol:
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

lvm wrote:I don't like libtorrent. I mean, guys so much obsessed with sparse files cannot be very smart... and deluge still lacks proper preallocation mode and fragments files as hell.
libtorrent is the work of one person, Arvid Norberg, and I don't think that comment is justified. If you read the libtorrent manual you will see several storage modes and one of them is Full Allocation. The reason why Deluge has not enabled it is partly due to needing backward compatibility with lt 0.14 in the current versions however there is a simple fix which I posted here and the feature will be added to the next major release of Deluge.