Suggestion: configurable start directory

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
AdamW
New User
New User

Suggestion: configurable start directory

Post by AdamW »

Hi, all. I decided to try using Deluge for a bit instead of Transmission, to compare. Using it seriously I immediately came upon a possible improvement.

I use the 'always ask me for the download directory' option. This is my situation: almost all my Bittorrent downloads are stored in /share/data/video/anime/(somefolder) . The (somefolder) is always different, hence my need for 'always ask me', but the /share/data/video/anime rarely changes. You will also notice that it is very different from /home/adamw .

This means that the way this feature works currently is really a bit useless for me. Every time I download a torrent I have to navigate from /home/adamw to /share/data/video/anime , which is a pain (doubly so because I can't just type the path in the file dialog and hit enter, but I don't know if that's Deluge's fault or GTK+'s). In Transmission, you can specify a default starting directory for the 'always ask me for the directory' option, so it always asks me, but it starts off in /share/data/video/anime , not /home/adamw, and I just have to go down one directory level and I'm done. It'd be great if Deluge would let me do this too. Thanks.
Adam Williamson
Mandriva
Community manager | Bugmaster | Newsletter editor | Proofreader | Translator | Packager
Mandriva Deluge packages available in /contrib/backports repositories for 2007 and 2007 Spring
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Suggestion: configurable start directory

Post by markybob »

AdamW wrote:Hi, all. I decided to try using Deluge for a bit instead of Transmission, to compare. Using it seriously I immediately came upon a possible improvement.

I use the 'always ask me for the download directory' option. This is my situation: almost all my Bittorrent downloads are stored in /share/data/video/anime/(somefolder) . The (somefolder) is always different, hence my need for 'always ask me', but the /share/data/video/anime rarely changes. You will also notice that it is very different from /home/adamw .

This means that the way this feature works currently is really a bit useless for me. Every time I download a torrent I have to navigate from /home/adamw to /share/data/video/anime , which is a pain (doubly so because I can't just type the path in the file dialog and hit enter, but I don't know if that's Deluge's fault or GTK+'s). In Transmission, you can specify a default starting directory for the 'always ask me for the directory' option, so it always asks me, but it starts off in /share/data/video/anime , not /home/adamw, and I just have to go down one directory level and I'm done. It'd be great if Deluge would let me do this too. Thanks.
ln -s /share/data/video/anime /home/adamw/anime
:?
AdamW
New User
New User

Post by AdamW »

Our survey says....erk-err ;)

Seriously, that's just a workaround for a legitimate feature request. And I don't want my home directory any messier than it already is.
Adam Williamson
Mandriva
Community manager | Bugmaster | Newsletter editor | Proofreader | Translator | Packager
Mandriva Deluge packages available in /contrib/backports repositories for 2007 and 2007 Spring
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

AdamW wrote:Our survey says....erk-err ;)

Seriously, that's just a workaround for a legitimate feature request. And I don't want my home directory any messier than it already is.
i dont want deluge's preferences to be any messier than it already is. no offense, but this sounds silly. because you dont want a simple symlink, you want me to spend hundreds of times more time programming this than it would've taken you to symlink?
plisk

Post by plisk »

AdamW: GTK file open dialog has Places support on the left. You can just drag and drop your favorite directory there and then just double-click it and you will be taken there.
AdamW
New User
New User

Post by AdamW »

Yes, thank you, I am aware of various features of the open / save dialog.

If you don't want to do it, fine, but it's a fairly simple feature that your competition has. And so I'll keep using them. *shrug*
Adam Williamson
Mandriva
xenon

Post by xenon »

What a rude reply to such a trivial feature request! It seems nobody really wants to go the extra mile to catch up with the top clients... Yes, I know, code your own one and stuff. But still.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

xenon wrote:What a rude reply to such a trivial feature request! It seems nobody really wants to go the extra mile to catch up with the top clients... Yes, I know, code your own one and stuff. But still.
it's not "catching up"...we have no intentions to have everything every client does. we'd quickly become as bloated and useless as azureus if we did that. i'm sorry if that hurts your feelings
plisk

Post by plisk »

In svn deluge now remembers last chosen download directory when "Ask where to save each download" is selected. Hope this will do it.
xenon

Post by xenon »

markybob wrote:it's not "catching up"...we have no intentions to have everything every client does. we'd quickly become as bloated and useless as azureus if we did that. i'm sorry if that hurts your feelings
I'm all against bloatedness and I would see no point in cloning Azureus. What I meant is that there are some features that are easy to implement and have little or no impact on the program performance-wise, but can still make or break the user experience. The one requested in this thread seems one of them to me. I remember trying KTorrent and abandoning it for this very reason (although performance wasn't optimal anyway). I know it's your project and my feelings are fortunately unwound; I just believe there are many people around willing to abandon Azureus, its bloatedness and its Java burden, as soon as they can find a few crucial features and some attention to usability elsewhere. And I would like Deluge to be that "elsewhere".