How does integrity check works in deluge? And suggestions

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
Krakatos
New User
New User

How does integrity check works in deluge? And suggestions

Post by Krakatos »

Well, call me paranoid if you want but I have experienced torrent corruption in the past and so I'd really like to know how integrity check works on deluge. Assuming that when an integrity check is invoked faulty and not downloaded chunks are identified, I'd also like to know when exactly an integrity check is invoked.

While we're at it, I'd like to suggest a couple of features. First, it would be nice to be able to do a manual integrity check from the rightclick contest menu. And second , it would be nice to have an option in the program that forces all torrents to be checked for integrity when they finish downloading. Given the fact that integrity check already exists in the program, both these things should be very easy to add, and require little coding time.

I'll be waiting for answers, thanks.
plisk

Re: How does integrity check works in deluge? And suggestions

Post by plisk »

About integrity checks read up docs in libtorrent http://www.rasterbar.com/products/libto ... ast-resume - it's the way it handled here.

About new features - forced re-check is planned and after it would be easy to add checks after finish downloading.
Krakatos
New User
New User

Post by Krakatos »

Thanks a lot for posting the link to the documentation of the rastsrbar libtorrent. I must say that after reading through it, I'm also hoping for full preallocation of disk space.

Thanks for the answers anyway
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

Krakatos wrote:Thanks a lot for posting the link to the documentation of the rastsrbar libtorrent. I must say that after reading through it, I'm also hoping for full preallocation of disk space.

hoping? full preallocation is deluge's default. you have to select compact allocation in the preferences if you dont want it
Krakatos
New User
New User

Post by Krakatos »

markybob wrote:
Krakatos wrote:Thanks a lot for posting the link to the documentation of the rastsrbar libtorrent. I must say that after reading through it, I'm also hoping for full preallocation of disk space.

hoping? full preallocation is deluge's default. you have to select compact allocation in the preferences if you dont want it
Well then, I am very happy about that. But... do put it at the main page at http://deluge-torrent.org/ ! Seriously :) It's not written anywhere I see, better highlight this feature in the main page :)
SatNav

Post by SatNav »

Krakatos wrote:better highlight this feature in the main page
What a curious thing to say!

I believe full preallocation is generally seen as the default mode for a bittorrent client, and compact allocation is usually seen as a desirable feature, since it is less wasteful of disk space - especially when a user is downloading a single small file from a large torrent. full preallocation doesn't guarantee file integrity any better than compact mode does.

perhaps you missed the phrase "traditional full allocation mode" on the libtorrent docs ;)
Krakatos
New User
New User

Post by Krakatos »

SatNav wrote:
Krakatos wrote:better highlight this feature in the main page
What a curious thing to say!

I believe full preallocation is generally seen as the default mode for a bittorrent client, and compact allocation is usually seen as a desirable feature, since it is less wasteful of disk space - especially when a user is downloading a single small file from a large torrent. full preallocation doesn't guarantee file integrity any better than compact mode does.

perhaps you missed the phrase "traditional full allocation mode" on the libtorrent docs ;)
Well, I have been using windows till last year, and I can tell you that most clients out there do not use full preallocation unless you specify it. Ktorrent doesn't have the option as silent either, there's a "full preallocation" option in the setting that needs to be checked if you want it. Azureus does it by default I must admit.

I simply think that highlighting it would be nice :)

But back to topic, now that I know full preallocation is already in, I really hope manual integrity check will be available soon, I'm paranoid about file integrity