uTP support

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
priegog

uTP support

Post by priegog »

I came to the forum thinking I'd find a thread like this, and wanted info on what the devs had to say about it... But there isn't such a thread, so I'm making it...
uTP seems to be the hottest thing in the torrent world since... well, the DHT. It promises a world of less stressed-out routers (the cheap ones, at least), no speed configurations, less throttling from ISP's, maximizing bandwith use and minimizing other applications' slowing down due to clogged tubes.
As far as I can tell almost all BT clients are developing an implementation for it, so the future looks bright when it comes to inter-compatibility.
So my question to the devs is:
Are there any plans to add this protocol/option/whatever it is to Deluge anytime soon?
Thanks
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: uTP support

Post by andar »

priegog wrote:I came to the forum thinking I'd find a thread like this, and wanted info on what the devs had to say about it... But there isn't such a thread, so I'm making it...
uTP seems to be the hottest thing in the torrent world since... well, the DHT. It promises a world of less stressed-out routers (the cheap ones, at least), no speed configurations, less throttling from ISP's, maximizing bandwith use and minimizing other applications' slowing down due to clogged tubes.
As far as I can tell almost all BT clients are developing an implementation for it, so the future looks bright when it comes to inter-compatibility.
So my question to the devs is:
Are there any plans to add this protocol/option/whatever it is to Deluge anytime soon?
Thanks
If and when it gets implemented in libtorrent, then Deluge will support it.
elcamilo

Post by elcamilo »

According to some owners of private BitTorrent trackers, uTorrent is no longer playing fair. Since uTorrent users are the only ones using the new protocol, uTorrent favors its own kind over other clients.
As a result, several private BitTorrent trackers have refused to put the newer uTorrent releases on their whitelists, effectively banning the client and forcing their users to stick with the older versions.
However,
BitTorrent Inc. (owner of uTorrent, ndelcamilo) has opened up the specifications of the uTP protocol...
...but they're not yet a standard. I believe that until uTP will not be standardized and released under a reasonable and compatible license, it could not be implemented in libtorrent.

source: uTorrent Accused of Unfairness, Banned by Trackers
PolarZoe
New User
New User

Post by PolarZoe »

Since utp source has been open sourced.

Any plans that libtorrent will include this?

http://github.com/bittorrent/libutp
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

PolarZoe
New User
New User

Post by PolarZoe »

Any idea when this branch will be usable by deluge?

Or can we already use it by swapping the libtorrent binary, like we can with version 15 of libtorrent?
Oscarius

Post by Oscarius »

PolarZoe wrote:Any idea when this branch will be usable by deluge?

Or can we already use it by swapping the libtorrent binary, like we can with version 15 of libtorrent?
I'd like to know this too. I'm having lots of problems using Deluge without my router slowing down to a crawl, and I suspect that uTP would fix it (since µTorrent works)
renkin
New User
New User

Post by renkin »

Arvid says that the uTP branch is getting really close to being merged into trunk!
Maybe it'll be included by the next Deluge release?
renkin
New User
New User

Post by renkin »

Just noticed that uTP branch has been merged into libtorrent trunk a few days ago!

Anyone care to test it with deluge?
downfreaks
New User
New User

Post by downfreaks »

Just noticed that uTP branch has been merged into libtorrent trunk a few days ago!

Anyone care to test it with deluge?
have you been able to test it?
thx