LibTorrent Peer ID?

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
Jaxon

Re: LibTorrent Peer ID?

Post by Jaxon »

I've run into this problem with private trackers as well. One is fairly quick to add new client versions to their whitelist but another has quite retarded admins.

They say that they have to do a full compile on their tracker software in order to incorporate any changes to the whitelist. Which is probably the most retarded thing I've heard, whether it is true or not. Why does a basic configuration change require a full recompile.
Nezmer

Re: LibTorrent Peer ID?

Post by Nezmer »

I think a plugin that gives the user the ability to customize the peer ID is a great idea. It's a good solution that would hopefully encourage good practices in the torrent echo system.

Deluge will get better advertisement with this plugin.

Take a look at web browsers for example , Changing the user agent became a standard feature. It's used either to bypass stupid white lists and poorly designed websites or to give the user the ability to change the way he/she appears on the internet. That's similar to what we are discussing here. Now , every emerging browser supports customizing the user agent or you can find easily a feature request that demands the feature in its bug tracker. If a discussion starts somewhere about web browsers and user A says browser X is awesome. User B would respond mentioning that X lacks custom user agents and that that feature is a must for him/her. B might mention browser Y which supports the feature. Now, that's free advertisement for Y.

Bottom line:
*Screwing up bad practices is a good thing.
*Having a feature that no one else supports is a good thing. It's good for advertisement too.
*More customizability and flexibility is always a good thing for the user.
English is not my native language .