0.5.3 RC1 Released

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
plisk

Re: 0.5.3 RC1 Released

Post by plisk »

shirish wrote:
plisk wrote:Tares, shirish: and this CPU load is on 0.5.3 RC1, not on 0.5.2, right ?

Tares: if you download not so many torrents at a time could you send me a link to 1 torrent that causes this behaviour so i can check how it's behaves here ? Also would be good to gather on IRC while doing this so we can discuss this in real time, this way it'll be faster resolved.

BTW, about encryption enabled - propably yes, this can be related. I have to check some specific torrent first to see for myself this behaviour, then we can decide what to do. And more - could you then try to limit max download speed to some not so big value like 10KB/s and see if anything changes ?
plisk, the load is on 0.5.3 RC1 , actually svn 1041 . I came down to 10 Kbps (DL) but still no change in the CPU, its still fluctuating between 23-30% . I observed the cycle for 5 full minutes (in htop) . Please lemme know if you need more info. Maybe this is also related with a .torrent file having many parts (.rar parts). Finding one or more .torrent files having multiple parts is no issue at all.
Hm.. The only thing i could think of while Tares didn't answer - is to try to backup your ~.config/deluge dir and start to remove torrents from queue and see what happens. Try to play with queue and see maybe you could find a 1-2 of torrents that cause CPU usage. If you find them - i'd like to see them :). Maybe it depends on state of torrents - paused/downloading/etc. Also interesting to know what will be with empty queue.
Tares

Post by Tares »

plisk wrote:Tares, shirish: and this CPU load is on 0.5.3 RC1, not on 0.5.2, right ?

Tares: if you download not so many torrents at a time could you send me a link to 1 torrent that causes this behaviour so i can check how it's behaves here ? Also would be good to gather on IRC while doing this so we can discuss this in real time, this way it'll be faster resolved.

BTW, about encryption enabled - propably yes, this can be related. I have to check some specific torrent first to see for myself this behaviour, then we can decide what to do. And more - could you then try to limit max download speed to some not so big value like 10KB/s and see if anything changes ?
Correct, 0.5.3 RC1 from tar.gz, I never know if which version from svn is already RC ;-) Encryption enabled.

Well, I've tried what you've suggested... to limit my download speed... I've done that through tray icon and guess what... deluge took my whole CPU usage. I've waited for a bit to see if this changes, but nothing happened till I've returned my limit to nothing.

About torrent's I'm usually downloading anime from tokyotosho.info As for now I cant remember which torrent caused that behaviour, but I got one that makes my torrent take ~10% CPU.
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala amd64
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

I would be updating the post in a while so please wait. First i backed up the .config/deluge & then removed .config/deluge so now deluge is empty . Now Deluge is nowhere in the picture :-

Code: Select all

15680 shirish   16   0 90436  37m  27m S  0.3  6.1   0:01.31 deluge
memory usage increased to 8% from 6.1 after blocklist importer has imported something like 200000+ entries. Encryption is enabled.

With the first .torrent file itself it jumped to 5% . While I can't give the .torrent file as it has my pass-key I can give the link of the .torrent file. http://bitnation.com/details.php?id=11347&hit=1 Connections are 2 (this will go & up & down as time passes) .

Memory holds steady, while CPU fluctuates. C*= Connections f*=files

With 3 files it is fluctuating between 5% to 10%. Connections now at 3

With 6 files CPU 10-15% mem 9% C* now 5 Connections 5

With 8 f" CPU 10-20% mem 10.1% C* now at 6

With the 9th f* CPU is 15-23% mem 10.1% C* now increased to 8 the .torrent file of this one http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/443062/2589020/

With 11 f* CPU is 18-28% mem 10.3% Connections now at 10-11.

With 14 f* CPU is 20-30% mem 11% Connections now at 15

With 16f* CPU is 23-33% mem 11% Connections now 15-20.

With 18 f* CPU is 27-37% mem 11% Connections 17-20

Updates finished.

Notes :- Some notes for consideration

Now instead of removing the .torrent files. I removed .config/deluge & made a clean start.
blocklist importer was the 1st thing which was imported & remained in the session throughout.
Htop was made running throughout the operation in a tree fashion so fluctuations don't affect the place where deluge is showed.
Download is/was capped at 10 Kbps for download while upload was capped at 4% , much less than what it can play with .
The files were checked & then htop was looked for fluctuating activity for 3-5 minutes & average ratios were given. Sometimes
there were some spikes but were dis-regarded.
The whole testing operation took almost 1.5 hrs. to complete.

Observations :- There seems to be a gradual increase & no sudden hikes unless the 1st one whould be seen as slightly bloated (as far as CPU usage is concerned) otherwise it has been a gradual manner. I have no idea why the overheads as far as CPU is concerned creep so much?

Please lemme know if more info. is needed. Cheers!
Last edited by shirish on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Sid, Intel Dual-Core, 512 kbps DL , 64 Kbps UL, deluge-1.3.5, pieces plugin, GNOME 3.4.x

All posts under creative commons http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
plisk

Post by plisk »

Thanks guys for stats, one more thing would draw the whole picture. Try to run deluge this way for 5-10 minutes while actively downloading then exit it and upload /tmp/deluge_cpu_stats.log file here as an attach:

python -m cProfile -s cumulative /usr/bin/deluge > /tmp/deluge_cpu_stats.log
Last edited by plisk on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

plisk, would do that but tomorrow morning as its already 3:30 a.m. here.
Its fun & I'm sure will learn something more about python stuff also with this :)
Debian Sid, Intel Dual-Core, 512 kbps DL , 64 Kbps UL, deluge-1.3.5, pieces plugin, GNOME 3.4.x

shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

plisk wrote:Thanks guys for stats, one more thing would draw the whole picture. Try to run deluge this way for 5-10 minutes while actively downloading then exit it and upload /tmp/deluge_cpu_stats.txt file here as an attach:

python -m cProfile -s cumulative /usr/bin/deluge > /tmp/deluge_cpu_stats.txt
plisk, guess you forgot to first say install python profiler as I hadn't installed or maybe its an issue with python itself for I got this traceback, callback.

Code: Select all

shirish@Mugglewille:~$ python -m cProfile -s cumulative /usr/bin/deluge > /tmp/deluge_cpu_stats.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/runpy.py", line 95, in run_module
    filename, loader, alter_sys)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/runpy.py", line 52, in _run_module_code
    mod_name, mod_fname, mod_loader)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/runpy.py", line 32, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/cProfile.py", line 190, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/cProfile.py", line 183, in main
    run('execfile(%r)' % (sys.argv[0],), options.outfile, options.sort)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/cProfile.py", line 36, in run
    result = prof.print_stats(sort)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/cProfile.py", line 80, in print_stats
    import pstats
If its an issue with python itself then would report it at launchpad. if its because python-profiler wasn't installed would know in couple of minutes as also installing that & trying it again. Sorry for the trouble.

shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

It was because python-profiler was not installed. I installed it.
While you asked for 15-20 minutes, I give something close to 45 minutes worth of stuff. This is with svn 1047 Don't envy you going through all this pain :)

Btw the extension .txt, csv, odt & pdf is not allowed by either phpBB 3.0 RC3 or maybe zachtib has not configured it or some other reason.

http://rapidshare.com/files/43937010/de ... s.odt.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/43937165/de ... s.txt.html

eternalsword

Post by eternalsword »

please try current svn r1050 as I made a patch that will not run gui updating code when it's minimized or hidden in tray. Hopefully you can see improvements this way until/if we can sort out the other issues
plisk

Post by plisk »

Thanks shirish, i'll take a look into this stats.
plisk

Post by plisk »

Well, after some research the main issue here is in not so good performance of gtk's tree view widget that is used to display list of torrents. On each update of speeds, progress, status etc of torrents we update the content's of tree view widget and here is where the bottleneck is. As soon as updates of torrents info removed CPU utilization is down to 0%. What to do with all this i haven't decided yet, there is some hacks of custom widgets for grid like display of data that supposed to overcome performance issues of tree view widget but they are hacks and to actually use them you have to play with them to fit it to deluge..

Well, in the end it's a priority issue now for me and we'll see that this all results in.