Add "resolve name" option

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
Denis Cheremisov
New User
New User

Add "resolve name" option

Post by Denis Cheremisov »

Hi!
Sometimes it's useful to know not ip address, but host dns name. It would be wonderful to have an option to show dns names instead of ip addresses.
starslights

Re: Add "resolve name" option

Post by starslights »

Hello,

I agree, it's really important and actually i can't use it because of DNS leak without this feature.

Thanks in advance to add this option

my best
plisk

Post by plisk »

I have a preliminary version of a patch for this i wrote quite a bit of time ago, but andar didn't want to include such a feature in Deluge.. So.. For now i can only show that patch, its in attach.. Its for quite a bit of out of date svn version of Deluge, so maybe it'll not apply well now.. If quite a bit of people will have interests in this - maybe i can make a plugin with this or andar can change his mind about including this feature to Deluge itself.
Attachments
reverse-dns-peer-ip-lookups.patch.bz2
(636 Bytes) Downloaded 392 times
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

plisk wrote:I have a preliminary version of a patch for this i wrote quite a bit of time ago, but andar didn't want to include such a feature in Deluge.. So.. For now i can only show that patch, its in attach.. Its for quite a bit of out of date svn version of Deluge, so maybe it'll not apply well now.. If quite a bit of people will have interests in this - maybe i can make a plugin with this or andar can change his mind about including this feature to Deluge itself.
If we do include this feature, I think the resolving should be done on the Core side so all UIs could benefit without having to do their own lookups. Also, we should use Twisted's DNS functions to handle this.
starslights

Post by starslights »

hello and thanks very much Plisk, i will test it and hope work for me, i really want to use Deluge at home too and for that i need this feature :)

I hope Andar will accept to add it on next releases... i will give my feeback

best regards
starslights

Post by starslights »

Plisk, i have tro put your patch in almost all folder but don't seem do anything, i am on linux kubuntu...

Where do you put it ?
Ideal

Post by Ideal »

starslights wrote:Plisk, i have tro put your patch in almost all folder but don't seem do anything, i am on linux kubuntu...

Where do you put it ?
You can just go to the folder where you already have deluge installed, find peers_tab.py, put that patch there and do

patch -p3 < reverse-dns-peer-ip-lookups.patch

It still patches quite okay but i dunno whether it still works..
McV
New User
New User

Post by McV »

Ideal wrote:It still patches quite okay but i dunno whether it still works..
No, it doesn't. Deluge crashes after few minutes with this patch. Any news on developing this feature?

Is there any ticket filled on this?
atfosan
New User
New User

Post by atfosan »

Thanks for your patch! It's very useful function. How does the core keep peer-list now? In IPs or in resolve names?
I think in IPs... but may be it only shows IPs and keep in resolve names... Sorry for my poor english :)
And if core keep peer-list in IPs, than users lose many peers after restarting through some hours when many other users (peers) reloaded their own computers because many people use Dynamic DNS.

I hope that you understood me :) and hope that this function will be in new version of Deluge.
whatnow

Post by whatnow »

plisk wrote:I have a preliminary version of a patch for this i wrote quite a bit of time ago, but andar didn't want to include such a feature in Deluge.. So.. For now i can only show that patch, its in attach.. Its for quite a bit of out of date svn version of Deluge, so maybe it'll not apply well now.. If quite a bit of people will have interests in this - maybe i can make a plugin with this or andar can change his mind about including this feature to Deluge itself.
I understand this thread is old so please excuse me in that regard as I'm new here and to deluge altogether. I'm a pretty uneducated win user and was curious if you, plisk, or anyone else may be able to help me make use of this patch in an XP environment? Or given how old this thread is has this perhaps been already made into a plugin? Thanks for your time and effort here, as well as everyone else who has contributed to bring this project to the point it's at now.