deb builds method?

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
eternalsword

deb builds method?

Post by eternalsword »

When you guys generate the deb files are you using checkinstall, dpkg-buildpackage, or something different? In other words, would it be possible for someone wanting to maintain debs for trunk to do so easily at this point in time?
stewacide
New User
New User

Re: deb builds method?

Post by stewacide »

I would love a 0.5.2 .deb
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

stewacide wrote:I would love a 0.5.2 .deb
ok, here they are. i386 http://www.dipconsultants.com/ubuntu/fe ... _amd64.deb and amd64 http://www.dipconsultants.com/ubuntu/fe ... 1_i386.deb
zachtib
Leecher
Leecher

Post by zachtib »

eternalsword wrote:When you guys generate the deb files are you using checkinstall, dpkg-buildpackage, or something different? In other words, would it be possible for someone wanting to maintain debs for trunk to do so easily at this point in time?
I use prevu / pbuilder to generate mine, i'm not sure what the 0.5.2 debs are built with, though
Former Deluge Developer
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

zachtib wrote:
eternalsword wrote:When you guys generate the deb files are you using checkinstall, dpkg-buildpackage, or something different? In other words, would it be possible for someone wanting to maintain debs for trunk to do so easily at this point in time?
I use prevu / pbuilder to generate mine, i'm not sure what the 0.5.2 debs are built with, though
i use dpkg-buildpackage (which is what 0.5.2 is made from)...as far as i'm concerned, it's the best method to build a true deb package.
zachtib
Leecher
Leecher

Post by zachtib »

markybob wrote:
zachtib wrote:
i use dpkg-buildpackage (which is what 0.5.2 is made from)...as far as i'm concerned, it's the best method to build a true deb package.
The problem is if any weird libraries get built into the package. Pbuilder and prevu solve this by building in a chroot.

I'll probably build some prevu'ed packages and upload them soon.

EDIT: Prevu'ed packages are uploaded and available from the downloads page
Former Deluge Developer
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

zachtib wrote:The problem is if any weird libraries get built into the package. Pbuilder and prevu solve this by building in a chroot.
I'll probably build some prevu'ed packages and upload them soon.

EDIT: Prevu'ed packages are uploaded and available from the downloads page
fyi, i use chroot with dpkg-buildpackage, so it's not a problem. in fact that's how i make both amd64 and i386 packages on the same machine.