0.6 Development Report

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

0.6 Development Report

Post by andar »

Hi All,

I thought I would give everyone a quick little update on the work I have been doing with 0.6. This version is a complete rewrite of Deluge from the ground up. It is hoped that it will resolve a lot of the long standing bugs with the old code and should makes things a bit easier on us as the code in 0.5 is quite a mess ;).

I have been working on this rewrite for quite a few months now, but I am still nowhere near 0.5 in terms of features -- so don't expect 0.6 anytime in the near future. That being said, there are some people using 0.6 right now with the WebUI to run on headless servers, it is usable if you don't need much in the way of features. I might start producing nightly builds of 0.6 if people are interested in testing.

A few of the major changes you will see in 0.6 are:
  • Core/UI separation - This is one of the major goals that the 0.5 branch's design did not really allow. With this comes the ability to run Deluge headless and on remote servers. You can for instance, run the Deluge daemon on your file server and access it from another computer on your LAN using the gtkui.
  • Using official libtorrent python bindings which should eliminate a lot of quirky bugs found in 0.5.
  • A new add torrent dialog.
  • Labels have been added to the main window so that you can quickly sort through different torrent states.
  • Better alerts when something goes wrong with a torrent, ie, out of diskspace, bad permissions, etc..
  • A redesigned preferences dialog.
  • A redesigned edit trackers dialog.
Screen shots:

Cheers,
Andrew
Rockyblizzard

Re: 0.6 Development Report

Post by Rockyblizzard »

Nice!
Would like to try the nightly build!
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

indeed, looks nice!

can't wait to try it out!

any idea when a first release will be out? late this year, early next?
jdhore

Post by jdhore »

I'd love to see nightly builds...For some reason, even on my 8-core system, the source takes FOREVER to compile...So long in fact that i've never been able to finish the compile. :( It looks amazing though and i can't wait to use it and try it out. As far as features, from the screenshots, it looks like it has more than a basic featureset which is probably plenty for most people. Personally, all I need is a way to set bandwidth limits globally and a way to choose files to download and i'm happy :)
bidossessi

Post by bidossessi »

Andar, i think you've got it nailed!
this looks just perfect.
every "essential" (imho ) feature is there.
Be sure i'll be keeping a keen eye on this one
OpenSuse 10.3 /kernel 2.6.22.13-default /AMD64/512Mib RAM/Nvidia FX5500/Deluge from OpenSuse RPM repository ( 2.5.8)
Ubuntu Gutsy /kernel 2.6.22.14-generic /P4/1Gib RAM/Nvidia FX5200/Deluge from Deluge web package ( 2.5.8 )
shwouchk

Post by shwouchk »

This is great :)

As for me, the gui doesn't run and the webui constantly keeps adding torrents...
I'll post something a bit more detailed later...

[Edit]
Err, apparently theres also a daemon to run now and I didn't know about it. now it works fine. (except for the gtk but apparently that's also somehow my fault :)
Last edited by shwouchk on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmely
New User
New User

Post by hmely »

This is the real thing! :P Please upllink to try it! :geek:
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by abubin »

great job for the work and report. I was wondering what was happening to 0.6.

Anyway, I have two question :

1) like you said, it lacks features now but what about it's stability? Does it crash much like in 0.5.6 and below?

2) As you know, 0.5.x does not work that well in other distro of linux besides debian/ubuntu based distro. It doesn't compile that easily and the packages needed is not that easy to track like dbus. Since you said you are using some standard python lib, does this compiles as easily in ubuntu as in fedora or suse? Cause I would like to go back to using fedora (or centos) as that distro is my fav.

Thanks.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

abubin wrote:great job for the work and report. I was wondering what was happening to 0.6.

Anyway, I have two question :

1) like you said, it lacks features now but what about it's stability? Does it crash much like in 0.5.6 and below?

2) As you know, 0.5.x does not work that well in other distro of linux besides debian/ubuntu based distro. It doesn't compile that easily and the packages needed is not that easy to track like dbus. Since you said you are using some standard python lib, does this compiles as easily in ubuntu as in fedora or suse? Cause I would like to go back to using fedora (or centos) as that distro is my fav.

Thanks.
To answer the first question, it is quite stable and I would say it is more so than early 0.5 releases.

The second question is baseless and I have no idea where you are getting your information. The 0.5.x branch works and compiles just fine on distros other than debian/ubuntu. The packages it depends on are nothing exotic and are included in most modern distributions. I would please ask that you refrain from posting such unsubstantiated bullshit in the future.

Cheers,
Andrew
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

hmely wrote:This is the real thing! :P Please upllink to try it! :geek:
It is available in the public SVN under branches/deluge-0.6 if you are eager to try it.