ktorrent vs deluge

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

ktorrent vs deluge

Post by abubin »

I have been some ktorrent users porting to deluge. I have never used ktorrent but it seems to be quite an established software compared to deluge. So, my question is why the conversion? What is the strength of deluge that made ktorrent users shift to deluge?
shreg

Re: ktorrent vs deluge

Post by shreg »

Maybe they were Gnome or Xfce users using ktorrent because they did'nt yet found a gtk-software good enough for them ?
While now there is some good alternative like Deluge.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

yeah I'd probably say non-kde users wanting to switch away from a kde app.

personally I've never used ktorrent so I'm not sure what disadvantages/advantages it has over deluge.

I know that kde apps don't run as well in a non-kde environment as they do in a kde environment; maybe deluge drastically outperforms ktorrent?

I've also noticed that a lot of users praise deluge because it doesn't seem affected by their ISP's traffic shaping.
maybe ktorrent is affected?

people like using the same bittorrent client no matter the platform (linux,mac osx or windows)?

or maybe some people just think ktorrent's GUI is ugly compared to deluge's :P
oshiri

Post by oshiri »

I use ktorrent for a short period of time.
Like other torrent clients which I dump, the problem is with their encryption.
It does not work well with my ISP shaping.
I don't care much about user interface as long my download speed is not being throttled.
Below are list of bittorrent client with encryption that work well with my isp.

1. Deluge ( Best of the best )
2. Qbittorrent ( Best )
3. Bitswash ( Average )
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

oshiri wrote:I use ktorrent for a short period of time.
Like other torrent clients which I dump, the problem is with their encryption.
It does not work well with my ISP shaping.
I don't care much about user interface as long my download speed is not being throttled.
Below are list of bittorrent client with encryption that work well with my isp.

1. Deluge ( Best of the best )
2. Qbittorrent ( Best )
3. Bitswash ( Average )
oshiri, you just made my day. thanks ;)
Joana
New User
New User

Post by Joana »

The encryption of Ktorrent exceeds the Traffic Shaping of my ISP. And deluge not.

Does deluge could do a version with encryption of Ktorrent?
gamerzz
New User
New User

Post by gamerzz »

Long time ago, ISP traffic shaping was killing my "linux iso's" downloading sessions... There is a way to beat it you might not know.

My easy way is to switch to an an wholeseller of the isp who support MLPPP. The 6 extra headers bytes just beat well. In my case, the Internet provider is Bell Canada, and they use Ellacoya boxes to throttle us. It's untested on Sandvine. (Bell wholeseller with working mlppp are Teksavvy, and Velcom)

Using MLPPP on single link is doable as well as bonding two line together. Windows PPP dialer is broken for multi-link. The configuration is a bit tricky, the MTU MRU MRRU need to be set well, if not, there will be a lot of packet fragmentation.

The easy way : using a Tomato compatible router model, and using the patched tomato firmware from http://fixppp.org/ alot of help is avaible from the DSLReports TSI forum
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy.

For the client, I can only use a separate daemon-client, what a shame to loose resources in a GUI. Why the GUI need to be open while I'm sleeping!? consuming CPU power for nothing!

Deluge is light, powerful, often updated, with awesome developers!

So, #1 Deluge
#2 heum, no way something near from deluge
#3 BTG multiuser is nice... but not enough to be near deluge
#4 rtorrent/transmissioncli where deluge got banned by a sysadmin on a bad day... :x :x

EDIT remove some typo errors