Can not connect to Deluge WebUI without reverse proxy

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Afflicted5872
New User
New User

Can not connect to Deluge WebUI without reverse proxy

Post by Afflicted5872 »

Hello,

I have been using binhex/arch-delugevpn as a docker container for over a year now. I know it's not the standard version of Deluge, but I assume the base functionality is mostly the same. DelugeVPN was always reachable through my reverse proxy. Recently I decided to no longer have it available on the public internet. I disabled the Nginx proxy host. Now I am unable to reach the WebUI from my browser using [serverip]:8112. If i re enable the proxy host I can access the WebUI just fine.

The service is running just fine. My other services are able to reach DelugeVPN and it's working as supposed to. I also added a firewall rule on the main OS (Rocky Linux 9.2) for 8112/tcp.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
ambipro

Re: Can not connect to Deluge WebUI without reverse proxy

Post by ambipro »

I run binhex's regular deluge docker image, so I'm not familiar with the details on how he has it set up in the VPN image, but I would guess that the other services you refer to are also running in docker or on localhost to delugevpn? If so this sounds like it might be expected behavior...

There might be exemptions for local/docker internal addresses to access deluge...this seems likely, however, I can't confirm. Any traffic from outside docker or local/LAN address space would probably be discarded if this is the case since it is a "VPN" image.

The easiest solution would probably be to restart nginx and just configure it to only accept connections from your IP, or alternatively, you could try using something like putty to create a socks4/5 SSH Tunnel and route your traffic through the linux machine/server running delugeVPN and set your browser's proxy to use that... (google "putty ssh socks" for details if you need them.) Finally, your last option would be to just use the same firewall (ex: iptables) to block the public internet and keep using nginx...

Other than those "workarounds" I'm not sure, as I don't have any experience with binhex's delugeVPN image, unfortunately. Perhaps someone else will chime in with more experience and knowledge with that specific image, in the meantime hopefully some of this gets you functional.
Afflicted5872
New User
New User

Post by Afflicted5872 »

Thank you for the swift and detailed reply.
What you're saying makes a lot of sense. For now I could also just keep the WebUI inaccessible while I don't need it and just open up access when I need it (there's no need for me to access it often).

I'll look into the workarounds you gave me, thanks!
Afflicted5872
New User
New User

Post by Afflicted5872 »

I set up the reverse proxy to only allow local network access, this works like a charm. Thank you very much!
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

No problem, as I said - the issue is probably one of the security features built into the docker image, allowing local traffic through local docker instances would likely be allowed, but outside of that discarded.

Glad you found a solution so quickly.