Deluge Downloading Doesn't Start Immediately

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
chnaski

Deluge Downloading Doesn't Start Immediately

Post by chnaski »

I'm using autodl-irssi to download files from my watched folder to deluge but what i've noticed is the torrent gets added but the downloading doesnt start immediately. i sometimes have to right click and do 'update trackers' for it to start downloading. some of them start after a couple minutes though
basher
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Deluge Downloading Doesn't Start Immediately

Post by basher »

This is a known issue with some of the trackers. Search for "unregistered torrents script", or something in those lines. Eg this or here.

Essentially it's automating this 'update trackers' fix.
(btw this topic should not belong under 'Plugins' forum)
Last edited by basher on Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks basher, for being your always helpfull self, and move notion, done :)
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

basher wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:59 am This is a known issue with some of the trackers. Search for "unregistered torrents script", or something in those lines. Eg this or here.

Essentially it's automating this 'update trackers' fix.
(btw this topic should not belong under 'Plugins' forum)
A little explanation/possibility to elaborate on basher's suggestion (I agree, btw)

When a torrent is typically uploaded to a tracker and announced in IRC, most of the time it takes a minute or more for the tracker to be fully updated with the torrent. When you are downloading from IRC announce and instantly announcing to the tracker, which has no real record of that torrent yet, it will fail as "unregistered" - as noted by basher - and your tracker will set a timer to reannounce. Typically this is 5min in deluge if I'm not mistaken, although my memory may be wrong.

What basher is suggesting is to circumvent the "wait", I assume, and use a script/plugin (I'm not so familiar with this one, though) to query/announce more frequently until successful. This will work in _MOST_ of these circumstances but should be noted that in the case of torrents that are deleted or "trumped" on certain trackers and become unregistered AFTER being valid, it may create an infinite loop and require user intervention (delete). Not sure if there are mitigations for this, but just be aware it _MAY_ be an issue if you are on such trackers that do this.

Anyway, this is why it would start after a few minutes (it "hit" the tracker and reannounced) and your right-click update just beat the timer to the punch.

Good luck sorting all this out, hope this gives you some stuff to consider.
basher
Leecher
Leecher

Post by basher »

Ye, ambipro's comments are all correct. Infinite loops are usually circumvented by limiting the retries to some value. Eg the second link I posted limits the retries to 100:

Code: Select all

x=1
while [ $x -le 100 ]
do
  # logic here
  x=$(( $x + 1 ))  # increment the counter
done