Not respecting bandwidth limits or showing correct bandwidth on active tab

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
white.rain4663
New User
New User

Not respecting bandwidth limits or showing correct bandwidth on active tab

Post by white.rain4663 »

I've been happily using Deluge for years and have suddenly run in to a problem that completely perplexes me!

I use Deluge on FreeBSD , inside an iocage jail on a TrueNAS system. Deluge is the only thing running in this jail. I've recently noticed that this jail is moving enough bandwidth to flood my 12Mbps upload speed. I've got the global bandwidth limit set to 5Mbps up. Most interestingly, the "active" tab shows only a few active torrents, and they do not add up to anything close to the total observed upload to the IP on my router. (one is going at 1Mbps up, the other 2 and <1Mbps currently)

I've done a packet capture on the IP from my router, and all the traffic appears to be on the deluge ports.

Deluge version information:

Code: Select all

root@deluge:~ # deluged -v
deluged 2.0.3
libtorrent: 1.2.14.0
Python: 3.8.12
I'm really puzzled about this one. If it were just Deluge not respecting the speed limits that would be one thing, but the fact that it's not showing me that it's even using that bandwidth is much weirder.

Anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas?
white.rain4663
New User
New User

Re: Not respecting bandwidth limits or showing correct bandwidth on active tab

Post by white.rain4663 »

Doing some experimentation, and it appears that setting the per-torrent speed to -1 to "let the per-torrent speed be limited by the global settings", as per https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Use ... thTweaking is not working correctly. If I set the per-torrent speed, then each torrent is correctly limited to the given per-torrent K/s. However, if I set the per-torrent limit to -1, the sum of all active torrents exceeds the set global limit.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but a recent possibly related thread (as this was also version 2.0.3) is available here @ viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56367

Perhaps it's a bug, I haven't heard of 2.1.x having this issue, so it would seem that upgrading to the latest version is a solution you could try.
white.rain4663
New User
New User

Post by white.rain4663 »

FYI I have not been able to test the theory that upgrading to 2.1 will fix it. I was actually unaware that I was a whole point release behind, but it turns out that FreeBSD/ports has to fix a libtorrent-rasterbar packaging issue or something before they can update Deluge to 2.1.x, so I'm holding on that.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

You should be able to use older 1.2.x versions of libtorrent as well as 2.0.x version with deluge 2.1.x interchangeably if I'm not mistaken, so unless all version of libtorrent are somehow broken on fbsd currently, maybe just try an older version?

Sorry, not too familiar with deluge on FreeBSD.
fibulatactful
New User
New User

Post by fibulatactful »

white.rain4663 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:31 pm FYI I have not been able to test the theory that upgrading to 2.1 will fix it. I was actually unaware that I was a whole point release behind, but it turns out that FreeBSD/ports has to fix a libtorrent-rasterbar packaging issue or something before they can update Deluge to 2.1.x, so I'm holding on that. penalty kick online
Have you tried updating to a newer version? I think the latest version solves this.