no torrents in the list when drive died; chngd dirs, still nothing...

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Unknowable
New User
New User

no torrents in the list when drive died; chngd dirs, still nothing...

Post by Unknowable »

Deluge version 2.1.1
OS = Kodachi 8.24 (yes I know Kodachi 8.25 is out... working that way...)

Error msg I'm getting from $ deluge -L error:
[ERROR ][deluge.core.preferencesmanager :262 ] Invalid tos byte: invalid literal for int() with base 16: ''

Here's how it started. Yesterday the drive that I store the Deluge temp files on (torrents not yet fully downloaded) died. I tried everything I can think of software-wise, including connecting it to a Windows machine and using a few apps on like Recuva and R-Studio. *Might* be able to be professionally recovered, but not by me, not with software. I do get a click on powering up the drive, so it's definitely a hardware issue. After the drive died when I ran Deluge, the program started up fine, it just couldn't find the torrents I had added of course. Figured I'd get it sorted out later, just changed the download directories to the primary partition. That worked fine on any new torrents I added.

Then I ran out of disk space and started moving what I *thought* I could from the primary partition to flash drives (all the space I have left ATM.) The default Kodachi Linux username is kodachi, and unable to be changed, so the *only* things I moved were from a directory I had added: /home/kodachi/!everything_else/ That's where I keep basically everything. :) Of course Deluge is installed to it's default folder. I'm not smart enough to do anything cool with it yet - still mostly new to Linux. As far as the storage space issue goes, I ran out of space last night (again,) so I just closed Deluge, I'll handle that in the morning. I had already started moving stuff onto flash drives to make some space on the primary partition, and just left it moving files overnight.

Then this morning when I woke up, a little bit of available storage space on the primary partition was created, so I figured I can now open Deluge and put it back to work. Unfortunately, when I open Deluge there are no torrents in the list at all. Waited a minute, no change. Cycled opening the app a couple of times, no change. Checked Prefs, still pointing at the primary partition. Hmm. Restored the ./!everything_else/Network tools directory (even though I think it's all just compressed files for future use) - no change. Came here and started searching. No dice. Googled for the error, still nothing. Oh BTW, I tried searching here, the FAQ, and Google for each of the following:

[ERROR ][deluge.core.preferencesmanager :262 ] Invalid tos byte: invalid literal for int() with base 16: ''
deluge.core.preferencesmanager :262 ] Invalid tos byte: invalid literal for int() with base 16
Invalid tos byte: invalid literal for int() with base 16
Invalid tos byte: invalid literal for int() with base
Invalid tos byte
deluge.core.preferencesmanager
- tried this last one as a desperate attempt to maybe find where prefs are actually stored hoping maybe I could fix it by hand somehow...

So I don't really know how to fix this, let alone how I broke it. I would really appreciate your help - thank you so much for your time and attention.

EDIT: Oh, and I did check to make certain that the directories I created for Deluge on the primary partition are still there. They are, and the stuff I was getting last night is still there - /home/kodachi/8TB_TMP for completed files and /home/kodachi/8TB_TMP/Deluge for temp files. There's currently 242GB free in that folder. The original directory was out on the 8TB_TMP drive: /media/8TB_TMP and /media/8TB_TMP/Deluge .

EDIT: The Torrent menu option is grayed out. I'm guessing that this is because there aren't any in the list. If this is another sign, there ya go. :)

EDIT: In an unrelated post, learned about /home/kodachi/.config/deluge/state . There's a hundred torrent files in there, torrents.fastresume is 4.7MB, and the torrents.fastresume.bak is 692.2K. I tried backing up those two files then changing the names from .bak to just torrents.fastresume and restarting Deluge - no change. I guess another idea might be to back up that folder then reinstall Deluge, see if that does anything... OK, that's my next task.

EDIT: Hm. Tried uninstall/reboot/reinstall, no change. I tried adding a few torrents back from the /state directory, and they added fine of course, but it seems to have killed what I had already downloaded. OTOH, it works. So I gotta get the same stuff again, that's not really an issue. I might could backup what I've downloaded, add all the torrents from ./state then copy the backups back to the ./state directory again, then force recheck. Hm. That doesn't sound fun. I don't think I'll do that. :D Instead, I'll just re-add everything and get it again - no big.

I'm still going to leave this marked Unresolved, as I have found a workaround in this case, but that doesn't really resolve the base issue. I still don't know what I did to cause the problem to begin with as the ./config/deluge directory seems fine and intact, at least from an end user point of view. Oh well. Functional ATM.

UPDATE!! It *is* doing the rechecking automagically, just like (I guess) it's supposed to. Those first few I added must have just never been gotten anything from. Either way functional, but the original issue could happen again since I still don't know what actually caused it. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them for the future. Thanks again!
keiser
New User
New User

Re: no torrents in the list when drive died; chngd dirs, still nothing...

Post by keiser »

Unfortunately I have nothing to add that you haven't already figured out, but I have this issue repeatedly every couple/few weeks now. I had it running for months without this issue with dozens, maybe a hundred+ torrents and now 3 times in the past couple months the torrent list is cleared. The state files are completely ignored if you try to use the backed up one and restart. I know there are old bugs for this that have supposedly been resolved, but maybe we've had a regression with a new version. I've seen plenty of posts in various places about people having this same issue recently, so know you're not alone.

The only thing that seems to work is re-adding the torrents manually (either in the client or by giving it the torrent file back from your directory) and making sure it checks progress, but then you lose your upload progress stats in the client and I have to manually go look at my trackers to see which ones I've fully seeded.