About the User Interface of Deluge

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
friend

About the User Interface of Deluge

Post by friend »

Hi friends.

Is there some way to revert to Deluge's old user interface, on M$ Windows? I mean the better one -- the non-dumbed-down GTK UI, used in previous years. The new one looks dumb. The icon is awful as well, they've really dumbed it down, but that can be easily changed.
Can the user interface be fixed?

Thanks friends.
DjLegolas

Re: About the User Interface of Deluge

Post by DjLegolas »

Why do you think it looks dumb?
friend

Post by friend »

Hi friend.
It looks dumb because it is over-simplified. Its art style follows a trend that's been widespread since the early 2010's in software, that is, of dumbing down every software user interface ("apps", websites, any programs with graphical user interface) to the lowest common denominator. As with many other stupidities, it started from the top, then the masses followed. This "art" style is often called "modern", which means "dumb", "dull", "empty", "soulless", "lacking depth", "lacking personality", et caetera. Thin lines, basic geometrical shapes, simple colors, lack of depth, contour or shadows, and so on, are attributes of this style of "art". Now, its adoption makes sense where the promotion of mindless consumption is intended, for mass-produced garbage. Anywhere else, this pragmatic utilitarian objectification of creative output is obscene. "Artists" who employ this style willingly are not artists. They're tools.
If you think that this:
Or this:
Looks better than this:

Then surely there is something wrong with you. They have achieved their goals. This is "progress" towards the opposite direction. Art is not the only thing where this happens. It is but one reflection of the state of our souls.
friend

Post by friend »

Yeah the graphical user interface is dumb, but, that's not a big problem, "we get used to it" as they say. The icon can be easily replaced with the old one. The old icon was beautiful; the new one is garbage.
They changed the unit display from "KiB" etc., to just "K", which is dumb. Again, not a big change, but, making things dumber is bad in general. Please keep these things in mind when designing stuff. Please make beautiful things, not dumb things. :)

Thanks friends.
friend

Post by friend »

:)
friend

Post by friend »

jesshamilton wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:51 am It's true that the user interface can be a bit confusing at first. However, it's important to consider the overall purpose of a GUI before writing it off as simply 'dumb'. A GUI is designed to make interaction between users and computers easier and more intuitively understandable. That's why <redacted> exist – because there needs to be thought put into how people interact with a product so that its use isn't hindered or disruptive for them in any way. I think that though it takes time to get used to Deluge's GUI initially it allows users access information conveniently when used correctly.
This looks like corporate garbage, a place where dumbing things down to the lowest denominator makes sense: extending a product's reach to the lowest dregs.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

friend wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:30 am This looks like corporate garbage, a place where dumbing things down to the lowest denominator makes sense: extending a product's reach to the lowest dregs.
Your subjective views are just that, subjective. While they may have some who agree, perhaps in some cases by the majority, they aren't necessarily how the author of the software feels, and he's doing this for free. Be grateful this software exists and you aren't required to pay for it. If you don't like the new design, use the old one, or go download a replacement theme, create your own from the old icons, or download one of the dozens of clients available that leans more to your style.

Deluge still exists and works. No one is forcing you to look at or use it...

I have no complaints about the new design. There are differences in 2.x from 1.x, yes, but I'm not angry and ranting on a support forum for a free product about how they made their software more "current" in design style to the masses and insinuating that I want it to remain relevant to the sup3r l33t us3rs to feel superior using it or something. I prefer to gauge an application on its utility rather than focusing on icons and abbreviations.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one - and they all stink. (mine included)
friend

Post by friend »

Hi friend.

Of course, "I don't like it".

Something known as the principle of immanence: the standard for truth is transposed from outside, objective reality to the interior, individual, subjective feelings; once that happens, our emotions determine all our patterns of thinking. Then, things degenerate into feelings -- this we are seeing now: can't say anything, can't offend anybody; even when gross violations of natural laws are observed.

This specific case, is an attack against higher aesthetic senses. The things in themselves are shallow, insipid, dull, lifeless, dumb. See "modern" art and architecture for more striking examples. From Bauhaus in the past century to the recent depressing grotesqueness known as "Alegria" art (ironically in Spanish and Italian that word means joy.)

Now, regarding the icon, it was beautiful in the past, and degenerated after years. Why change at all? For the sake of change, even if it makes it worse? No one with a sound, healthy mind, would think that the new icon looks better than the old one.
The thing is, there's sort of a scarcity of sound, healthy minds in our time. Then, the icon, and related things, are but a tiny problem; much graver concerns exist. But, how can greater problems be solved, if not by solving smaller ones? Through listlessness, indifference to small things, things slowly degenerate, look where we are now.
ambipro wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:51 am
Be grateful this software exists and you aren't required to pay for it
I am, without a doubt. It remains the best client. Could be more perfect if it weren't but for one simple aspect. I did replace the icon, that's easy enough to do, as I said.The newer GTK design isn't that much worse than the previous one. There is no trivial way to change it, but, as I said, "we get used to it". It's even beautiful, compared to some obscenities we see nowadays. I'm not angry about that.
ambipro wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:51 am insinuating that I want it to remain relevant to the sup3r l33t us3rs to feel superior using it or something
You're exaggerating dude. If I were a l33t h4x0r I would not be using a GUI at all ;).

It is enough not to degrade things. Not over-simplifying does not mean over-complication, as some imply. For instance: M$ Windows XP, Vista and 7, were all easy to use and beautiful. Then they dumbed down everything for the lowest scoriae. Then, naturally, those would seem too complicated. But, in that case it makes sense: so that „they‟ further extend their tentacles: more souls for „them‟ to feed on. Now, we do not have this goal, do we?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Much of the new GUI is dependent on GTK's changes and not Cas or any other deluge dev's ideas or theories on artistry, they're given a framework to work within and create what would be most familiar. Not sure if you knew that, but that's kind of the main reason for _MOST_ of the changes I've seen you mention (sans the icon)...

The icon...I just don't get your issue. That's such a minuscule thing, you can replace it with the old one with such ease in both the shortcut and GUI with a simple click or two and drag and drop. As for the bigger "issue" - your artistical analysis comes off as overly pretentious and I'm convinced will go over the head of anyone without a degree in modern art. You're overcomplicating basic things, and I'm not sure why.

It's simple, and an issue people fix all the time. Many executables come with dozens or hundreds of icons embedded inside so you can choose what you want to display, deluge - admittedly - does not, but GTK is themeable so that's a moot point.

Change the icon, enjoy the application.

Or don't...whatever?

P.S. I don't agree with you that the latest icon is worse than the 2nd flatter icon, but I do prefer the first...so opinions opinions. I don't care enough to go posting about it ad nauseam or change it though.
friend

Post by friend »

ambipro wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:51 pm Much of the new GUI is dependent on GTK's changes and not Cas or any other deluge dev's ideas or theories on artistry, they're given a framework to work within and create what would be most familiar. Not sure if you knew that, but that's kind of the main reason for _MOST_ of the changes I've seen you mention (sans the icon)...
I did, and mentioned GTK more than once.
ambipro wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:51 pm It's simple, and an issue people fix all the time. Many executables come with dozens or hundreds of icons embedded inside so you can choose what you want to display, deluge - admittedly - does not, but GTK is themeable so that's a moot point.
I did not find a trivial way to theme GTK applications on M$ Windows; and, after some time, I found no need to go any further:
friend wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:20 pm It's even beautiful, compared to some obscenities we see nowadays. I'm not angry about that.
ambipro wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:51 pm
The icon...I just don't get your issue. That's such a minuscule thing, you can replace it with the old one with such ease in both the shortcut and GUI with a simple click or two and drag and drop. As for the bigger "issue" - your artistical analysis comes off as overly pretentious and I'm convinced will go over the head of anyone without a degree in modern art.
friend wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:20 pm Then, the icon, and related things, are but a tiny problem;
Through listlessness, indifference to small things, things slowly degenerate, look where we are now.
It's not an artistical analysis; Deluge's icon is an illustration; it extends beyond the realm of arts; degradation in arts are a good indicator of our state. One does not need formal education in any particular art to have decency and good taste; these spring forth from basic virtues. It's quite the contrary: in our times, those formally 'educated' are often compelled to be subject to the corruptions mentioned. The writing style is a contrast to vulgar, shallow, dumb, distasteful "art".