Difficulties in Downloading Files to Hard Drives on Ubuntu 22.04

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Sashaaa
New User
New User

Difficulties in Downloading Files to Hard Drives on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by Sashaaa »

[EDIT: read next post, still haven't figured it out but it explains the errors below]

Hi, I have setup deluge as a service on my ubuntu 22.04 box, and everything seems to be set up properly. The problem is that when I try to download something to any of the drives in my /media/ folder, deluge shows an error on torrents (also in the free disk space area) and will not download anything. When I try to download to my main drive (which my OS is on) it doesn't show any errors but for some reason it just won't download and gets stuck at 0% despite seeing many different peers. I am using a vpn but I made sure to open the incoming connections port and deluge doesn't seem to show any issues with it.

I have a hunch that this issue with the /media/ hard drives is because of some sort of permissions issue. When I try to run

Code: Select all

sudo chown deluge:deluge /media/username/drive
I get the output

chown: changing ownership of '/media/username/drive'" Operation not permitted
desipte running this as a super user. The only other thing I have done with this machine is setup xrdp and samba which is how I am configuring this, and I did have some issues with permissions related to that in the past but I thought that I resolved them.

Is there a command that I can run that will make sure that the deluge user has access to these drives? And if that's not the issue, any ideas on what could fix this behavior?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Sashaaa on Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sashaaa
New User
New User

Re: Difficulties in Downloading Files to Hard Drives on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by Sashaaa »

Hey so I did a bunch of a research on my own, trying to find a fix for this issue but I haven't been able to. I have since set the drives to automount on startup (done through the disks app), which made their directory the /mnt/[drive name] instead of /media/[drive name]. I learned a bit more about permissions, and I noticed that since 2 of my drives are exfat, then you can't really change permissions on them (that is why I got the error in the previous post). However, one of them is ext4 so I was able to make sure that everyone has rwx (read write execute) privileges to that drive and still deluge still behaved the same way.

Just to clarify, as this might've been a bit different in the beginning, the behavior is that I'll add a torrent and tell it to go to the /mnt/drivename/folder. The torrent will start with 3-5kbps then go down to 0kbps and stay at 0% despite seeing many peers.

Apologies if I'm missing something basic as I am still a bit of a linux noob. :)
Sashaaa
New User
New User

Re: Difficulties in Downloading Files to Hard Drives on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by Sashaaa »

Alright so I haven't been able to figure out how to get deluge to download to my exfat drives (because exfat doesn't support permissions), but I did figure out how to get it to download fine to my ext4 drives by running

sudo chown -R deluge. /path/to/drive

I will just find a way to get the data from those old exfat drives onto ext4 drives.