Resetting password continually fails

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
snowybunting
New User
New User

Resetting password continually fails

Post by snowybunting »

I installed Deluge and Deluge-web on my Ubuntu server yesterday. I first logged in to the webui with the "deluge" password, then changed the password to something I forgot almost immediately. I found more than a few articles describing how to reset that password, here is what I've been doing:

1. shut down deluged and deluge-web via systemctl
2. remove the "pwd_sha1" line from ~/.config/deluge/web.conf
3. restart deluged and deluge-web via systemctl
4. Go to <ip_add>:8112
5. type "deluge" into the password request, get "password incorrect" error message

I've checked the web.conf file to make certain the "pwd_sha1" line is gone before restart deluged...it is gone. I've tried a few other iterations of this sequence, including removing all lines from ~/.config/deluge/auth files, but nothing is working. It almost seems as if the password I made up yesterday is still being requested somehow, but I don't know how to fish that out. Is there some other way to reset this, or is a re-install necessary?
mhertz

Re: Resetting password continually fails

Post by mhertz »

I've not looked up how to reset password yet, but the location you edit doesn't seem right, at least with "standard" systemd service-files. Try again under '/var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge'.
snowybunting
New User
New User

Post by snowybunting »

mhertz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:40 pm I've not looked up how to reset password yet, but the location you edit doesn't seem right, at least with "standard" systemd service-files. Try again under '/var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge'.
The installation process I followed had me editing /etc/systemd/system .service files for deluged and deluge-web. Here a snip of what I was doing:

Code: Select all

2057  cd /etc/systemd/system
 2058  ls
 2064  vi deluged.service.d/user.conf
 2065  sudo mkdir deluged.service.d
 2066  sudo vi deluged.service.d/user.conf
 2067  sudo systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/deluged.service
 2068  sudo systemctl start deluged
 2069  sudo systemctl status deluged
 2070  sudo vi deluge-web.service
 2071  sudo vi deluge-web.service.d/user.conf
 2072  mkdir deluge-web.service.d
 2073  sudo mkdir deluge-web.service.d
 2074  sudo vi deluge-web.service.d/user.conf
 2075  sudo systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/deluge-web.service
 2076  sudo systemctl start deluge-web
 2077  sudo systemctl status deluge-web
Everything worked as expected after this, except for me forgetting the password. 2 of the first google searches I made to see how to reset the password said to edit ~/.config/deluge files, including this guide.

I checked /var/lib/deluge, there are no files in that directory.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yeah agreed confusing. Do me a favor and look for hidden folder .config/deluge under there... ;)
snowybunting
New User
New User

Post by snowybunting »

mhertz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:40 pm Yeah agreed confusing. Do me a favor and look for hidden folder .config/deluge under there... ;)

I don't see it. The only .config is in /home/$user.

luser@snowyshuttle:/var/lib/deluge$ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 deluge deluge 4096 Jun 13 10:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 59 root   root   4096 Jun 13 10:40 ..
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I'm sorry, thanks though for checking.

Could you please post output of 'sudo systemctl cat deluge-web.service', thanks.

You have a user.conf override, which normally is 'deluge' user, which usually under said home-dir if remember correct.
snowybunting
New User
New User

Post by snowybunting »

mhertz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:22 pm I'm sorry, thanks though for checking.

Could you please post output of 'sudo systemctl cat deluge-web.service', thanks.

You have a user.conf override, which normally is 'deluge' user, which usually under said home-dir if remember correct.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Here is that output. It appears the user.conf is in /etc/systemd/system/deluge-web.service.d directory. I changed the user:group to users with permissions for a mounted media directory. I have that for deluged as well.

# /etc/systemd/system/deluge-web.service
[Unit]
Description=Deluge Bittorrent Client Web Interface
Documentation=man:deluge-web
After=deluged.service
Wants=deluged.service

[Service]
Type=simple
User=tom
Group=medusa
UMask=027

ExecStart=/usr/bin/deluge-web -d -l /mnt/media/Logs/deluge.log -L warning --logrotate

Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

# /etc/systemd/system/deluge-web.service.d/user.conf
[Service]
User=tom
Group=medusa

lines 2-27/27 (END)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks, so deluge-web(and deluged) is running under user 'tom', meaning the config-files for deluge-web(and deluged) is under said users homedir, which can be seen with e.g. 'echo ~tom'(though you probably already know this users homedir, but regardless), and then adding to that path '.config/deluge', and in that dir you need make the change(with deluged and deluge-web stopped).
snowybunting
New User
New User

Post by snowybunting »

mhertz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:04 pm Thanks, so deluge-web(and deluged) is running under user 'tom', meaning the config-files for deluge-web(and deluged) is under said users homedir, which can be seen with e.g. 'echo ~tom'(though you probably already know this users homedir, but regardless), and then adding to that path '.config/deluge', and in that dir you need make the change(with deluged and deluge-web stopped).

Sorry, I had used "~/.config/deluge" in my first post, but that was indeed for /home/tom, and I did just as you said - edited that file with both services stopped, restarted both, and still cannot get it to accept "deluge" as the password.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Gotcha :)

You're right, I tested your steps and didn't work. Then actually checked instructions, in which I see you also followed correctly.

Anyway, I found that you need delete both related lines i.e. 'pwd_sha1' and 'pwd_salt' and then works.