problems connecting to trackers and finding peers

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
brainchild
New User
New User

problems connecting to trackers and finding peers

Post by brainchild »

I am trying to migrate from another client to Deluge.

Part of the process has been to capture the magnet links of torrents currently managed by the previous client, and then to add them to Deluge.

The torrents successfully populate the Deluge instance, but communication with trackers has presented as problematic. Whereas the previous client has been able to discover peers and seeders with the general success, Deluge has had extremely limited success.

From observation and reading, I have formed some rough ideas of the differences between the operation of the two applications. These ideas may be inaccurate, and I would welcome elaboration where helpful and correction where necessary.

According to my extrapolation, Deluge operates according to the following rules, which may be different from other clients:
  1. Deluge only uses one tracker per torrent at a time.
  2. If contact with a tracker is unsuccessful, or if the tracker offers no peers for some torrent, then Deluge simply repeats an announcement attempt to the same tracker at a later time, without trying other trackers.
  3. Even if a tracker provides peers, other trackers may be tracking other peers or a higher total count of peers, which Deluge will never discover due to preference for only communicating with one tracker. (From the other client, which maintains and displays peer lists from all trackers at the same time, it is apparent that trackers vary widely with respect to total number of peers available for a particular torrent.)
A further observation, completely mysterious, is that while the previous client is successful at contacting specific trackers, Deluge is not successful contacting those particular trackers at the same time.

Thus, running side by side, the two clients perform very differently, with the results from deluge being the less favorable. The aggregate effect is that most torrents added to Deluge at this time are not downloaded or seeded, due to inability to discover peers.

I would appreciate any comments helping me to understand the method Deluge uses for contacting trackers, and how find a way to download and seed torrents successfully.
mhertz

Re: problems connecting to trackers and finding peers

Post by mhertz »

I don't know what's the reason for failing where other client doesnt, but your issue with multi-tracker torrents indeed can be overcome with ltconfig plugin and enabling announce_to_all_trackers and announce_to_all_tiers, so all trackers announced.
brainchild
New User
New User

Post by brainchild »

mhertz wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:59 pm your issue with multi-tracker torrents indeed can be overcome with ltconfig
I am trying to configure the plugin, as suggested.

The interface for the plugin has two check boxes for the named options, shown on either side of the option names. I believe the left box enables overriding the application default value, and the right box represents the actual desired value. However, I am only able to check the left box. The right one remains disabled.

How do I enable the options?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I'm not at my computer now to check, but I believe there's a bug where you use spacebar to enable/disable that right checkbox - sometimes have to fiddle little I.e press with mouse button on that right checkbox to kinda mark it, and then afterwards spacebar works, or have to also disable and re-enable left box and retry. Hope works for you - awesome plugin that ltconfig despite its quirks.

Edit: webui configuration works as other workaround, or simply edit ltconfig.conf in deluge profile dir.