Priority Ordering

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
morecambejim
New User
New User

Priority Ordering

Post by morecambejim »

Hey guys..

Is there a way of setting download speed priorities through the list..

Example: My download in #1 in my queue was running happily at 9 ish MiB's when I set it to only download 1 item.
When I then open it up to allow 5 downloads, this 9 dropped straight away to about 5, and now is sat there at less 600 KiB/s. The other 4 downloads are running higher speeds..

I put this download at #1 as I want it to download first..

I can set individual file priority, but in this case there's 100+ in there, and it just wont set them when you try...

What's the point of the ordering, does it do anything at all?

I'm running this on Raspian on my Pi4

Thanks!
mhertz

Re: Priority Ordering

Post by mhertz »

The queue settings in deluge are libtorrent controlled, and I haven't really stumbled upon any libtorrent settings for controlling priority between active allowed downloading torrents, and none in deluge neither, and so bandwidth is just divided up by libtorrent using whatever algorithm internally.

If your speed e.g is maxed out upon one torrent, and then allowing multiple, then obviously speed will be lowered to occomodate the others also, and if not wanting such, then need limit to one again.

The libtorrent reference docs outlining it's various queue settings and use-cases, states its for pause/queueing and resuming torrents, and so no mentions of it used also for priotizing between active torrents. The download queue is described as for controlling order of torrents to be started next when there's more than max allowed downloading, so relevant seemingly only for the queued items next in line.

Edit: Actually there where torrent prioritizing earlier but either removed or deprecated later on(maybe in libtorrent 1.2,but not sure, as not dwelled that far into it. It was not a very good implemented feature, hence the removal/deprecation. I don't think the individual file priorities are used in same manner, and guessing they are only used for priotizing files in the single torrent, and not affecting also bandwidth scheduling between torrents. The removed option I don't even know if ever was controllable by deluge itself, sorry, and not at my computer now to check.

Code: Select all

#if TORRENT_ABI_VERSION == 1
		// This sets the bandwidth priority of this torrent. The priority of a
		// torrent determines how much bandwidth its peers are assigned when
		// distributing upload and download rate quotas. A high number gives more
		// bandwidth. The priority must be within the range [0, 255].
		//
		// The default priority is 0, which is the lowest priority.
		//
		// To query the priority of a torrent, use the
		// ``torrent_handle::status()`` call.
		//
		// Torrents with higher priority will not necessarily get as much
		// bandwidth as they can consume, even if there's is more quota. Other
		// peers will still be weighed in when bandwidth is being distributed.
		// With other words, bandwidth is not distributed strictly in order of
		// priority, but the priority is used as a weight.
		//
		// Peers whose Torrent has a higher priority will take precedence when
		// distributing unchoke slots. This is a strict prioritisation where
		// every interested peer on a high priority torrent will be unchoked
		// before any other, lower priority, torrents have any peers unchoked.
		// deprecated in 1.2
		TORRENT_DEPRECATED
		void set_priority(int prio) const;
Source: https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/bl ... handle.hpp
morecambejim
New User
New User

Re: Priority Ordering

Post by morecambejim »

Thanks mhertz...

Yes it's annoying how running one in the queue will run fine, but then add more and the first gets reduced by the others as they max out the connection...

I'm not bothered most of the time, just when i'm adding a few things, but order them if I want to watch something first.. I have to put the queue size down to 1 to allow it the full bandwidth..

I dont mind that other than the odd time when the next in line hasn't many seeds so is really slow and holds the rest up lol...

I can live with it.... :-D