Strange problem opening torrent files when VPN connected

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
vertigoelectric
New User
New User

Strange problem opening torrent files when VPN connected

Post by vertigoelectric »

I've used Deluge for years. I like it. Normally it works fine but today I noticed a strange issue.

Under normal operation, I can click a magnet link online, or double-click a torrent file in Windows and it will launch Deluge and add the torrent. If Deluge is already running, it'll just add the torrent.

Now, it will launch Deluge and add the torrent, but if Deluge is already running, instead of adding the torrent to the existing Deluge window, it will launch an additional deluge.exe process without any window/ui.

I really have no idea why this would be happening. I've reinstalled Deluge but it still happens.

Okay so I actually just realized while typing this that this behavior only occurs if my VPN (ExpressVPN) is connected. I'm not sure why the VPN connection would affect the actually launching of the file and not just the network side of it, but it's clearly causing the problem. Still doesn't give me a solution, though. The VPN needs to stay connected.

Any ideas? Thank you!
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Strange problem opening torrent files when VPN connected

Post by shamael »

Hi,

A connection is made to reach your local instance, with the VPN on the connection may failed if all is sent to a default route (the VPN one).
Without VPN the default route is your local router, with VPN this is not always true depending of the VPN settings. Often all is sent through the VPN interface to a different address, reason maybe your local Deluge instance is not joinable.

A simple test will be a tcpping|portping|psping|telnet (take the one you use or prefer psping from MS) with and w/o the VPN on to test the port of Deluge (default port is listed in the interface)