Deluge takes ages to start and stop: Can't connect via web-ui

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

Re: Deluge takes ages to start and stop: Can't connect via web-ui

Post by mhertz »

I'm sorry i'm at complete loss towards why happens, hopefully others have some troubleshooting advice to you.

I just checked again and cannot reproduce and started fresh and rebotted several times. My deluged log is much much longer than yours - yours is cutoff in a fraction of the real log, so seems deluged crashed somehow during startup, but why that happens I don't get whatsoever, since no log info about it and you stated before no info in systemd logging neither, plus listed still as running process from ps aux, so puzzling indeed.

Sorry again could not help you.

Edit: Btw, I never messed with users and such, and always just used the auto-generated deluge user made for you when installing the deluge package and the included systemd files, and just added debug logging etc.
Xi0N
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Xi0N »

Nevermind: I've posted on my distro's forums to see if this is something related only to arch.
Thanks anyway!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Cool, hope you find a solution. BTW, not an arch general issue atleast, since I'm on that also, sorry if not being too clear on that. Good luck.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

BTW, you could also run without systemd and without deluge-user, just to remove some variables in the trouble-shooting, so add deluged and deluge-web to e.g. .xinitrc(no -d switch or anything) if always using xorg, or .zshrc/.zprofile or whatever wanted startup sourced file, and then delete your ~/.config/deluge with deluged/deluge-web closed, restart, and see if this changes anything. You can also add systemd override file to use local user, but this was just to exclude everything besides deluge, so no other variables interferring. Just a thought - I actually run deluge like that myself, well I don't autostart daemons(as started automatically from script through xdg-open whenever selecting a torrent/magnet, and scripted to stop after finished - hate wasted resources), but I mean just using local-account, so not need change dir permissions, group memberships, and have two config dirs.

Edit: I now also remember one reporting deluged crashing for him at random times, and others reported similar on older deluge versions, just strange it always happens after restart for you and only recently started. The one I talked with here, plus some of the other reporters, workarounded by making cron job script starting deluged again when crashed. I suspect as said your daemon crashed too, since doesn't output proper log. You could also try downgrade libtorrent version, just in case(deluge too, but I don't think much really changed there recently). The log didn't output any libtorrent communication at all so could be libtorrent making deluge crash on you, or boost version dynamically linked to libtorrent.

This sounds like same issue, though 4 years ago, but still I.e deluged freezes at startup, and later down he found if stopping network-manager, start deluged and start network-manager again, then worked - strangely - but also shamael posted some helpful info and links I would checkout e.g add a directive to systemd file to make sure drive mounted first(his issue was force-rechecking torrents needed after restart but nonetheless, sound like there's startup issues in general) - also he posted link to network-manager docs with a tip for that too, I don't know if you use that or not. Cas stated it's your job to make sure deluged closed propperly before rebooting - maybe try stopping the daemon from systemd before rebooting, though I'd guess would be same but still: viewtopic.php?t=54417
Xi0N
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Xi0N »

Tried what you said.
Changed deluge user to my user: Launched from systemd: Same issues
Re-set all config (Delete deluge .config folder) No changes, same issues
Launched deluged -d from console (before setting it up with any autostart script: Same result
Changed required mounts: Not necessary, bc downloads were set for default folders anyway: No luck
And I uses systemd-networkd, so nothing to do with networkmanager.. :(

Tried downgrading deluge: Will have to try again since
I think it didn't like config files form more recent versions and was complaining non launch.

At this point, im considering installing deluge on a different distro and see wether this is an issue just for arch linux.....
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, that is frustrating :( I saw your thread on arch forum, and hope you get response there, but without any logging suggesting any error whatsoever, then am not to confident sadly, but could get lucky of-course if someone in the know.

I'm too using arch with systemd-networkd/wpa_supplicant(though changed yesterday to iwd standalone mode), and as said cannot reproduce, so pretty mindbuggling.

Edit: I know you're not using gtkui, but seem related: viewtopic.php?t=55848

Its in aur, but in your case should rename to deluged to kill, you can also find here without using aur I think is same, not at my computer now: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5435764173

Before installing new service etc, you could try yourself killing deluged graceful before rebooting and see if makes a diff.

Edit: I mean stopping deluged/deluge-web from systemd, then to make sure not deluged still lingering or taking long to close, run 'sudo pkill -9 deluged' and then reboot and recheck.