No version of Deluge that works on all modern OSes

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

Re: No version of Deluge that works on all modern OSes

Post by mhertz »

chorse wrote: [... ]
What y'all are saying is basically "Things with Deluge are perfect as they are. If users rely on prepackaged applications, they're wrong and we don't need them. A real man/woman is always happy to compile from source and spend time debugging unfamiliar code. If users (multiple users, not just @chorse) report problems signing up for the forums, they're also wrong and we don't need them".

Enjoy your mutual appreciation society around this dying project :lol:
I agree ashmandias got a pretty direct way to say things, which personally I appreciate such, but to each his own of-course, and you got a point with the distro, which I thought also by mistake honestly, but I'm absolutely sure I can speak for the both of us when saying that you're way off with that interpretation. Current situation obviously is far from ideal, but as said, the way to change things is more hands-on effort, not talk, and that is non-condescending and just factual, unfortunetly.
ashmandias

Post by ashmandias »

chorse wrote:
Wow friend, you were so preoccupied with trying to ridicule me you forgot to check if you knew what you were talking about!

If KDE Neon isn't a distro, you should tell the poor folks working on it, they must be a terribly confused bunch of people. Take a look here: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kdeneon or https://neon.kde.org/
Trust me -- they know:

https://neon.kde.org/faq#is-it-a-distro

"Is it a distro?
Not quite, it's a package archive with the latest KDE software on top of a stable base. While we have installable images, unlike full Linux distributions we're only interested in KDE software."

It's Ubuntu LTS with rapidly repos with recent versions of KDE software -- and they are the first to admit it.

What y'all are saying is basically "Things with Deluge are perfect as they are. If users rely on prepackaged applications, they're wrong and we don't need them. A real man/woman is always happy to compile from source and spend time debugging unfamiliar code. If users (multiple users, not just @chorse) report problems signing up for the forums, they're also wrong and we don't need them".

Enjoy your mutual appreciation society around this dying project :lol:

Have fun with your strawmen. No one is saying there are no problems, we are saying that it is inaccurate to claim 'no version of Deluge that works on all modern OSes' -- there are two versions of Deluge that work on all modern OSes. That is different than 'there is no version of Deluge that has vendor supplied packages for all modern OSes' -- which admittedly is a bit of a problem, but nowhere near the same as your original complaint. Perhaps there is a language barrier here -- if there is, I am honestly sorry, but the difference has been explained to you repeatedly, and yet when you try to restate the responses you have received you manage to come up with emotionally laden hyperbolic strawmen.

Similarly, I have *REPEATEDLY* agreed that the captcha is a little vague, and could be improved -- but not for the reasons you are whining about. You are both pretending to not know that Linux is an operating system -- and at the same time using it as an example operating system in your list of modern operating systems. The question could be worded more clearly, and there are probably uses that need to use google to confirm that Linux is named after a person (but I suspect few would believe that Windows or OSX are named after a person) -- it's just disingenuous for you to pretend that *YOU* did not know Linux was an operating system as an aside to your primary complaint where you specifically mentioned it.

To circle back to your original comment, I'm sorry you feel like having your transparent claims pointed out is ridiculing you. It really seems like you understand that your claims are hyperbole and are inaccurate, and that you painted yourself into a corner -- but are desperate not to admit it, which results in your hostile attitude, and these straw men.
ashmandias

Post by ashmandias »

mhertz wrote: I agree ashmandias got a pretty direct way to say things, which personally I appreciate such, but to each his own of-course, and you got a point with the distro, which I thought also by mistake honestly, but I'm absolutely sure I can speak for the both of us when saying that you're way off with that interpretation. Current situation obviously is far from ideal, but as said, the way to change things is more hands-on effort, not talk, and that is non-condescending and just factual, unfortunetly.

The frustrating thing is that I am direct in an attempt to prevent the sort of misunderstandings we are seeing here. Long experience on both in the real world, and online have shown me that it is better to be blunt but accurate, than it is to be polite and let inaccurate statements slide and compound. I think we were both upfront and straight forward, but they are still *drastically* off base when they repeat back what they think we are saying. By being direct, it becomes immediately clear that they are not an honest interlocutor -- they are still pretending that no one has agreed that there are problems -- even though we both agreed that their foundational claims have merit, even though their interpretation and description of the issues is flawed.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Agreed and thanks for explenation mate, and that is exactly the reasoning in essence of what I meant with appreciating such, well despite having to look some of the wordings up you use lol, not that the intent isn't clear but just for full reference, and appreciate that too :)