Frequent "Error: Connection timed out" tracker results with Pi 3 and Pi 4

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
deuce
New User
New User

Frequent "Error: Connection timed out" tracker results with Pi 3 and Pi 4

Post by deuce »

For years I've had three different raspberry pi setups running 24/7 with Deluge. I access all three via a Windows 10 thin client version of Deluge (Client: 1.3.15):

Raspberry Pi 2 running wheezy with Deluge server: 1.3.3 and libtorrent: 0.15.10.0
Raspberry Pi 3 running stretch with Deluge Server: 1.3.13 and libtorrent: 1.1.1.0
Raspberry Pi 4 running buster with Deluge Server: 1.3.15 and libtorrent: 1.1.11.0

All three setups are on the same network and communicate with the same set of trackers.

The Raspberry Pi 2 has always run flawlessly with no issues.
The Raspberry Pi 3 and 4 are constantly giving me "Error: Connection timed out" tracker results for about 20% of my torrents at any random time. It seems completely random which torrents get this error and it changes over time. But it's not correlated with a particular tracker and a torrent that gets an "Ok" tracker status one hour could get a "Error: Connection timed out" the next. Also, the Pi 3 and 4 have far fewer torrents (only about 20) compared to the pi 2 (about 130)

These constant "Error: Connection timed out" for a subset of my torrents have been happening for the entire time I've owned the pi 3 (since 2016) and the pi 4 (since 2019).

So it seems like these problems are related to the versions of Deluge and libtorrent that get installed with any Stretch and Buster OS version

Any ideas how i can resolve these longstanding problems? Thanks!
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Frequent "Error: Connection timed out" tracker results with Pi 3 and Pi 4

Post by shamael »

Hi,

Not a general issue at least: Running Deluge 1.3.15/Libtorrent 1.1.11.0 on Debian 10 with more than 600 items seeding w/o time out.
The buster version add some changes however.
-What tells you "sudo dmesg -T"? anything related to a network issue, oom,
- a "sudo netstat -plant" show nothing odd?
- does the involved torrent share something in common? How many tracker per torrents for the concerned ones?
- any customisation?
deuce
New User
New User

Post by deuce »

shamael wrote:Hi,

Not a general issue at least: Running Deluge 1.3.15/Libtorrent 1.1.11.0 on Debian 10 with more than 600 items seeding w/o time out.
The buster version add some changes however.
-What tells you "sudo dmesg -T"? anything related to a network issue, oom,
- a "sudo netstat -plant" show nothing odd?
- does the involved torrent share something in common? How many tracker per torrents for the concerned ones?
- any customisation?
Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice anything that seemed wrong from dmesg or netstat but to I'm not familiar with looking at the output of either.
Nothing in common with torrents that have issues. Every torrent only ever has a single tracker. I normally like to use a socks5 proxy configuration but I see the issues even with a fresh install with all default configurations except enabling "allow remote connections" and setting the download directory.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

And if you check the tracker answer with a script testing it each second for example? Possibly from 2 different computer including the incriminate RPI
A curl retrieving the header or a tcp ping to the tracker port.
The issue is from RPI3, what I guess a previous setup. Nothing on your local network can lead to it?
The RPI was changed for a model 4 meaning the powersupply and most parts are changed. Maybe the obvious but the network cable etc?
deuce
New User
New User

Post by deuce »

shamael wrote:And if you check the tracker answer with a script testing it each second for example? Possibly from 2 different computer including the incriminate RPI
A curl retrieving the header or a tcp ping to the tracker port.
The issue is from RPI3, what I guess a previous setup. Nothing on your local network can lead to it?
The RPI was changed for a model 4 meaning the powersupply and most parts are changed. Maybe the obvious but the network cable etc?
The script is a good idea, thanks.

I don't think it's the network itself but changing the Pi 4 cable might be a good thing to try.
Subnet_Zero
New User
New User

Post by Subnet_Zero »

I'm also having a similar issue:
deuce wrote:"Error: Connection timed out" tracker results for about 20% of my torrents at any random time. It seems completely random which torrents get this error and it changes over time. But it's not correlated with a particular tracker and a torrent that gets an "Ok" tracker status one hour could get a "Error: Connection timed out" the next.
...with the exception that my torrents are giving me an "Error: skipping tracker announce (unreachable)" message.

The specifications are as follows:

Code: Select all

[SubnetZero@homeserver ~]$ deluged --version
deluged 2.0.3
libtorrent: 1.2.11.0
Python: 3.9.2
[SubnetZero@homeserver ~]$ screenfetch
           /:-------------:\          SubnetZero@homeserver
        :-------------------::        OS: Fedora
      :-----------/shhOHbmp---:\      Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.21-200.fc33.x86_64
    /-----------omMMMNNNMMD  ---:     Uptime: 6d 17h 8m
   :-----------sMMMMNMNMP.    ---:    Packages: 3980
  :-----------:MMMdP-------    ---\   Shell: bash 5.0.17
 ,------------:MMMd--------    ---:   Disk: 5.6T / 11T (55%)
 :------------:MMMd-------    .---:   CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core @ 8x 4GHz
 :----    oNMMMMMMMMMNho     .----:   GPU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV670 [Radeon HD 3870]
 :--     .+shhhMMMmhhy++   .------/   RAM: 6215MiB / 15947MiB
 :-    -------:MMMd--------------:
 :-   --------/MMMd-------------;
 :-    ------/hMMMy------------:
 :-- :dMNdhhdNMMNo------------;
 :---:sdNMMMMNds:------------:
 :------:://:-------------::
 :---------------------://
Currently I have just shy of 400 torrents seeding to 5 different trackers. Unlike the OP's issue though, my "Error Rate" (if I could call it that) ranges from as little as 10% to as much as 60% (although this number fluctuates almost by the second). Additionally, this issue is not persistent to one tracker as I could be seeding one torrent perfectly fine / Announce OK while receiving this error on another torrent from the same tracker.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Was the investigation on the network layer any informative (cable change, etc)?

The script for tracker address reachability? As you are able to reach it most of the time I guess the DNS you use is not the issue

A "sudo netstat -plant" (filter on the Deluge PID) show lot of time_out on the incoming port range configured?
I see some improvement for utp connection in the libtorrent version just above (1.2.12), a version I tested already w/o issue. But Still having the problem with both RPI3/RPI4 points me to something out of the setup
deuce
New User
New User

Post by deuce »

As an experiment I ended up completely re-doing my pi 4 setup with a fresh copy of Ubuntu Server + qbittorrent-nox. That seems to be working noticeably better but it's hard to directly compare because how it reports errors seems quite different. None of the my 30 torrents have been in an "error" state as far as I've seen but I do occasionally get "Not Working" in the tracker status.

I was starting to experiment with the pi 3 deluge / raspbian setup but I think something on the filesystem got corrupted because I can't boot that box any more. I'll have to completely redo that setup to continue with my experiments. I do plan on continuing this investigation but it might take some time.
deuce
New User
New User

Post by deuce »

Subnet_Zero wrote: ...
Currently I have just shy of 400 torrents seeding to 5 different trackers. Unlike the OP's issue though, my "Error Rate" (if I could call it that) ranges from as little as 10% to as much as 60% (although this number fluctuates almost by the second). Additionally, this issue is not persistent to one tracker as I could be seeding one torrent perfectly fine / Announce OK while receiving this error on another torrent from the same tracker.
Actually, 10% - 60% error rate sounds about right for what I was experiencing as well. I was guessing it was 20% on average but the overall range sounds similar. Same with the fact that I would see 5 torrents with an error state and another 5 with an Ok state, all of which were associated with the exact same tracker.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, nothing to input, but would just say that Subnet_Zero's issue maybe is another, but not sure. What I mean is that deluge(2.x) using libtorrent over 1.2.3 will sometime get tracker errors that aren't "real" because those libtorrent versions tries announce to all found interfaces(accepting incoming connections), unless manually bound otherwise('listen_interfaces' used for announce to trackers, and not 'outgoing_interfaces', counter-intuitively, if I'm not remembering wrong here - default is all interfaces) and fails on the ones not having direct internet access(localhost usually, etc), so deluge shows just the last tracker status message, so sometimes error, sometimes not, depending on which finished last(or was it first? Cannot remember, but guessing the last). Qbittorrent doesn't list error if minimum a single announce went through succesfully, and DjLegolas made nice PR that does the same, here: https://github.com/deluge-torrent/deluge/pull/289 (merges fine currently on both deluge2 stable and dev, and works good).