Deluge server on Ubuntu / storage on Windows

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
SnifPlex
New User
New User

Deluge server on Ubuntu / storage on Windows

Post by SnifPlex »

Hey guys !
I can't really find out if it 's possible or not but I'm trying to build a splited Deluge server.
Something like :
On Windows :
- Storage for Media (shared)
On Ubuntu :
- Deluge serveur

Is it possible to connect deluge server on a Ubuntu to shared folders on Windows (Windows don't have Deluge software) ?
If yes, what is needed to make them talk ? NFS, SMB ? Specifics ports opening on Windows, Ubuntu, Box ? What about users' rights ?

Any help appreciate !

Thank's :).
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Deluge server on Ubuntu / storage on Windows

Post by shamael »

Hi,

Possible yes, advisable less to my opinion. Any disk operation for example will take ages through a network, simply test with a "force recheck". On the other way around Deluge with local disk and torrent folder shared make more sense.

Let's start over:
-There is an unofficial release of Deluge 2.X on Windows, please take a good look at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55776
The job is done is pretty amazing
- This GTK (fat) client is able to be a server or to connect to a remote server. A client on a windows machine connect to the daemon on a headless server. Most of the time this server is Linux but this is not mandatory
- You can use the web client, the fat client is not mandatory to manage the remote server
- Most of your question are documented in the support section, ports etx have defautl value but you can change for what you prefer to.
- Assuming you have a correct network reading file from your torrent server work pretty well. I feed Kodi from Deluge share for years

If your split is necessary (is it?) my advise will be a server hosting Deluge and a share. If computers accessing the share are Windows based, SMB is the protocol to choose. The server part can be as simple as an RPI with an attached disk

Tell us more and maybe some may share their experience :)
SnifPlex
New User
New User

Post by SnifPlex »

Hello,

Thank's a lot for all of these advices!
So if I understand correctly, two options are on the track :
1. I keep my strange config (Windows for shared disk, ubuntu for Deluge server) but :
- I need to have a Deluge on Windows for connecting to the Deluge daemon on ubuntu
- The transfer time will be low

2. I rebuild a config with storage on ubuntu
- It means that Windows will have to read file on ubuntu storage
- No worries about user right for writting

I've forgot to mention, my reading server (Plex) is on Windows... But nevermind I can move it.
So I've tried several things (Option 1 for the moment --> Windows storage, ubuntu server) and I've some authentification issues...
I've create a new user called deluge with a password on ubuntu, then I've create the same user on Windows and enable shared permissions with this user.
On ubuntu, in the ~/.config/deluge/auth file, I've put something close to this --> username:password:10
But I can't access to the Windows storage...
On the web page I can see my server, I can connect to the daemon but nothing download because... i don't have access to the storage, sad.

So anyway, will think of rebuild an entire config with ubuntu as a server/storage and Windows just a reader...

Thank's !
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Deluge can we configured to be in classic mode or not. In classic mode you install Deluge and it acts as both the server and client. Uncheck this option and you have a client asking the server to connect to. This is the same piece of software with both option possible.

Your config is not weird and you can of course keep it. I just point the annoying point if something bad happen: with the storage distant of the daemon the disk operation will be slow. And during this time other services may encounter difficulty to use the share. Centralizing the Deluge server and the storage will ease your life to the benefit of the Torrent uptime and your ratio on the tracker. The other service you want to add (Kodi, Plex, VLC, or whatever) just read files through the share and no more. The very same file you play and seed at the same time. This is after multiple trial my setup where I wanted to avoid file duplication, long torrent server downtime, etc. Of course it's mine and subject to discussion following your needs :).

Deluge+storage on Windows or Ubuntu doesn't make a difference. As long as their are on the same server. Plex can run also on the same server except if your have another device to host it.

About the authentication issue be aware SMBV1 is no more supported in recent Windows distribution. Be sur to test SMB connection with SMB v2/v3.