FreeBSD install using python3

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
joncy92
New User
New User

FreeBSD install using python3

Post by joncy92 »

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my FreeBSD jails for 12.2 and re-installed deluge using normal pkg install

Deluge is running fine but it's using python37 instead of python27 so half the plugins don't work.
Is there a way to force it to use python2 so I can use my plugins again?

Thanks
joncy92
New User
New User

Re: FreeBSD install using python3

Post by joncy92 »

Double post - I noticed a lot of plugins can use python38. I've installed python38 but how do I make deluge use that version instead?
deluged --version still reporting python 3.7 and the python38 plugins will not enable
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Honestly never looked into how can change default python version, i.e. if there's another method besides of-course changing 'python' symlink under /usr/bin or whereever freebsd has that, but anyway, just wanted to add that you don't have to install new python3 for plugins, but instead just download as close you can to your version installed, and if not matching exactly, then rename the x in the py3.x portion of plugin file-name(or delete the whole py3.x part from filename), before activating it in deluge. Note, the rename trick only works for deluge2 py3.x plugins, and not deluge1 py2.x.

Deluge2 do have some fallback python2 support, but the lead-author recommends using python3. To change you would need to reinstall or build yourself deluge2 and all python deps in python2 versions.
joncy92
New User
New User

Post by joncy92 »

Thanks for the tip. I installed for example AutoRemovePlus 0.6.15.
It display in the plugin list in Deluge thin client but when I check the box, it immediately unchecks itself.

I have tried deleting the .egg from the plugins folder but when I try to install an earlier version, the plugin list still shows 0.6.15

What can I do about that?
joncy92
New User
New User

Post by joncy92 »

Nvm I read your post over again and realised what you meant.
Is there no option to use plugins which were built on python2.7 then?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Unfortunetly not for deluge2 in python3. Those plugins are old and need updating for gtk3 also etc, You can request an update to the author on e.g. github or whereever hosted, if not done already, or, try out yourself if you can update it, as per the doc here: https://deluge.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... lugin.html.

There is also sometimes forks that is updated, like labelplus etc, but usually that is announced in the relevant plugin thread if such exist.
cross

Post by cross »

In response to the "how to select which python3" in FreeBSD, you can build with a different value set for python3, full information available at https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/DEFAULT_VERSIONS. Note, the "standard" python3 is python37, so you may have to build deluge and the relevant ports yourself, but just setting this variable in make.conf it's not hard to build things in the ports system.

Also ref related question at https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/defa ... ion.73421/