Warning: The unit file changed on disk

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Ouroboruss

Warning: The unit file changed on disk

Post by Ouroboruss »

Hi!

I am running rasberrypi OS and used this guide https://deluge.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... rvice.html to set it up as a servive.

When I check the status it says it is running but there is a warning:

Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of deluged.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

I run systemctl daemon-reload which clears the warning message but after a reboot the warning is back. How can this be?

Thanks
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Warning: The unit file changed on disk

Post by shamael »

Have you ran the command with enough access? (as root or with sudo)

Any major difference with the Deluge how to? https://deluge.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... rvice.html
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

Yes I ran it as root which cleared the warning, however my thin clinet was unable to connect to it.

I have since removed the deluged.service.d directory and added:

User=pi
Group=pi

to deluged.service and it appears to be working now.

Is it safe to run like this? or should i find a way to get the deluge user to work?

EDIT: Also, if im using the deluge user and group as described in the guide? would I have needed to install deluge under this user? Im assuming there is some kind of user/permission issue
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Running application with a dedicated user/group and deny logon for this user is something I use to do on my system. It's an isolation concept that worth only if you apply it to all the system you're running on, not for a single shot. You can run it with the user/group Pi of course and many take this easier way.

Deluge works by user profile. You can install Deluge with any user having sufficient rights but the setting of Deluge will be taken from the user's profile (/.config/deluge/) which differ from the user PI to the user Deluge. Simply copy the content from the user having Deluge already configured if needed and double check the permissions
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

Ok, thanks for the clarification, it makes things alot clearer

So in the guide it say to setup the deluge user/group like this

sudo adduser --system --gecos "Deluge Service" --disabled-password --group --home /var/lib/deluge deluge

so this means /.config/deluge/auth will be in /var/lib/deluge, is this correct? The problem is this is a non login system account so how should I be accessing the auth file to add credentials for deluge thin client?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yes.

You edit it like any file e.g 'sudo vim /var/lib/deluge/.config/deluge/auth'.

Note some distro's already make a secured user for deluge during the install(made by packages post-install script), e.g my distro makes a deluge user, but ubuntu and Debian make a Debian-deluged one, atleast in Ubuntu 20.04(package from repo, don't know about PPAs). You can still make a new user and use regardless of-course.

You can also always test deluge by itself, without systemd, to eliminate any possible systemd issues from equation, firstly, just for testing I mean, with e.g: 'sudo -u deluge deluged'
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

The problem I have is that because the deluge account is non-login, I can change the auth file using root but how do I use the deluge-console? It just tells me it failed to connect to 127.0.0.1:58846 because the user does not exist
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You can run it e.g. like this: 'sudo -u deluge deluge-console', e.g. make an alias, or, copy the auth file into current users deluge config-dir.
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

Ok, I actually managed to get it to work, However, The problem I am seeing now is that deluge is failing to download torrents because access is denied to the mounted hard drives. I tried creating a new dir with the deluge user to check if it was an owner/permission issue but the same thing happend.
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

Dont worry about the above! it was an issue with the way I was mounting the external devices