suddenly Deluge works only with Python3 and is extremely slow - A very interesting problem!!

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
DelugeFan
New User
New User

suddenly Deluge works only with Python3 and is extremely slow - A very interesting problem!!

Post by DelugeFan »

Hi,

I have been using Deluge 2.0.3 (with python 2.7.x) on Debian 10 for about a year which was working awesome!!
My Server also has rtorrent/rutorrent as well which is also working fine.

All of a sudden, after a recent server reboot, Deluge wouldn't start, throws "deluged error "ImportError: No module named libtorrent". I think (not sure) there must have been upgrades to rtorrent/libtorrent etc. which came into effect after reboot causing Deluge not to work.

However I was able to fix the problem by usinig Python3 instead of Python2 and able to start Deluge and is working now BUT with extremely slow downloads & uploads. I used to get 120MB/s upload speed (it's 1Gbit Dedi) and now I am getting max of 5 MB/s even with me being the lone seeder with dozens of leechers.

I'm almost certain that it's because of Python3 (as thats the only change) Deluge behaving extremely slow. So I tried Deluge 1.3.5 and 2.0.4 (dev) as well but all 3 versions are able to start with Python3 only. None of them working with Python2. So I verified installed libtorrents and they are -

libtorrent-rakshasa/now 0.13.6 amd64 [installed,local]
libtorrent-rasterbar9/stable,stable,now 1.1.11-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
python3-libtorrent/stable,stable,now 1.1.11-2 amd64 [installed]
rtorrent/now 0.9.6 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 0.9.7-1]

Now, I'm OK to move to any Deluge version 1.3.5 or above but need my speed back please but without breaking rtorrent/rutorrent setup.
I'm not expert on these matters but somehow think if we perhaps could install previous version of libtorrent for python2 to work (dont know hot to do that) so that I can use Deluge with python2.

Please advise, Many thanks!!
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Re: suddenly Deluge works only with Python3 and is extremely slow - A very interesting problem!!

Post by fmar »

Hey DelugeFan

libtorrent has no dependency to a specific Python version, it should work with 2.x and 3.x
I do have Deluge 2 installed on Debian 10 with Python 2.7 and 3.7 and it is running fine.
You can see what Python versions you have installed with these commands:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy python2

apt-cache policy python3
Probably your default Python version is set to 3. Could you please check what version is set as default?

python -V
And please post the result of

ls -la /usr/bin/python*