Move Storage question

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
truenorth

Move Storage question

Post by truenorth »

I have a dedicated Deluge machine running a 1tb drive, but that filled up, so I added a 4tb drive. I would like Deluge to move some of the torrents to the new drive. That works fine (but slowly) but it seems that there are no active torrents while the move is underway. I always see several active torrents and I have 100s seeding. Is it possible that Deluge won't do two things at once? Move Storage and seed at the same time?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Move Storage question

Post by shamael »

Move to another storage may be resource intensive. For such thing I will rather pause all torrents in the UI, thestop Deluge processes, copy desired files to the new drive and tart deluge again. All torrents in error can be pointed to the new location and rechecked. Then resume torrent.

Common issues: permissions of files and folders and path. It may be easier to clone the 1TB to the 4TB disk, extend (Gpart), mount it under the same mount point and Go on. The 1TB is no more there but can be readded for new torrent (format it first). With torrent in pause state first and a clone/extend there is no risk. When Deluge starts hypothetical error may be fixed prior any communication with the tracker so nu download will occur for a missing file.

Pushing forward LVM can be considered to add the 1TB to the 4TB but then a clone is out and you need to setup LVM and copy the files with permissions.

If all of this are unknown the clone option is easy and you have the 1TB as backup if anything goes wrong. Or give Deluge time simply to move all the files.
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

Hi Shamael, what I want to achieve is replace the full 1tb drive with the new 4tb drive. What I'm thinking is that I will copy the 1tb drive over to the 4tb drive. Then stop everything, ensure that the windows drive letters are swapped over and restart deluge. Will that work?
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

"All torrents in error can be pointed to the new location and rechecked.". How do you point to a new location?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

If Deluge doesn find the file (path, permission, else) it will download the file again. to avoid such I always pause all files. If an error is displayed a recheck fix the problem prior resuming the item. It will save your ratio.

The copy:stop Deluge service, make a full copy including the permissions (robocopy or similar tools otherwise permissions issues may raise). After the copy swap the drive letters of the disk (4TB is the fromer 1TB). It will take more time than the clone, per file based.

The clone: take any free software and clone the drive. Faster and permissions embedded. Mount the 4TB drive with the correct letter and you're good to go.
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

Actually in my case just copying the files worked great. My system files are on an internal drive and my torrents were stored on an external W10 1tb drive. I added a 4tb external drive, another drive letter. While Deluge was running, I copied the torrent files to the new drive, it took a few hours. When it was complete, I stopped Deluge, removed the 1tb drive, renamed the 4tb drive to the correct drive letter and started everything back up.

Deluge found everything immediately and resumed right were it left off.