Which libtorrent to use with Deluge 1.3.15?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
spookymulder84
New User
New User

Which libtorrent to use with Deluge 1.3.15?

Post by spookymulder84 »

Hello, I've been using Deluge for 5+ years, had it on Raspberry Pi 1, 2 and 3, later switched to a PC/server with Ubuntu and even donated once and made a DelugeSimpleDark skin (which I didn't expect so many would download, nye heh), and I'm hoping that either something will happen so Deluge 2.0 can be supported on Windows, or that I'll make a transition to some Linux OS and get done with it..

What bothered me in many occasion was how some torrents would get missing after a improper shutdown (probably not in proper shutdowns and systemctl stop), but now I'm regulating that through regular deluge config folder backup and I also bought a UPS, and I'm tracking if there's suddenly less torrents showing in the client... Not ideal and I understand why would an improper shutdown do problems in general, but I don't understand why it does that with random torrents added months ago, and not just with some recently added ones or something.. Is Deluge 2.0 showing less problems like that?

So finally, the question..
I didn't find any current recommendation of which libtorrent version would be best for use with Deluge 1.3.15.. any you can recommend that's most stable and best performing? I'm currently running 1.1.5.0 which is given by Ubuntu repository
mhertz

Re: Which libtorrent to use with Deluge 1.3.15?

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, I don't know if deluge2 fixes the shutdown issue you're having, but for deluge 1.3.15 then I would recommend latest supported libtorrent for that version, to get the most libtorrent-bugfixes, and that is 1.1.13 currently. For windows, you can get latest built libtorrent for deluge 1.3.15 here: viewtopic.php?t=55168

If wanna use deluge2 on windows, then you can use Cas's manual install instructions from this ticket: https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/3201, Or use my 7z-sfx installer based from that, but it like the manual instructions have the downside of being bigger in diskspace used than a real installer, and additionally also only supporting having %programfiles% on C drive, but which is what is usually used by most under normal occasions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55463
spookymulder84
New User
New User

Post by spookymulder84 »

Hi, thanks a lot for the answer!

I've installed Deluge2 through your installer and it works great on Windows! I wasn't so clear in the OP, but I have a daemon running on my Ubuntu 18.04 machine, to which I connect through the Windows thin client.

I've installed Deluge2 on Ubuntu 18.04 with PPA, connected the Windows thin client to it and it works flawlessly with my old deluge config!

I do have a lot of problems trying to make libtorrent 1.2.2 work with it though.. I've first followed this tutorial and as much as I can see libtorrent 1.2.2 installs successfuly, but my old 1.1.5 ends up being used instead.. i've tried doing some stuff to make it work but I'm not so linux literated so idk what's the problem

Code: Select all

$ python -c "import libtorrent; print libtorrent.version"

$ apt list --installed | grep libtorrent
libtorrent-rasterbar/now 1.2.2-1 amd64 [installed,local]
libtorrent-rasterbar9/bionic,now 1.1.5-1build1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
python3-libtorrent/bionic,now 1.1.5-1build1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

$ apt list --installed | grep deluge
deluge/bionic,bionic,now 2.0.3-2~201906121747~ubuntu18.04.1 all [installed]
deluge-common/bionic,bionic,now 2.0.3-2~201906121747~ubuntu18.04.1 all [installed,automatic]
deluge-gtk/bionic,bionic,now 2.0.3-2~201906121747~ubuntu18.04.1 all [installed,automatic]
deluged/bionic,bionic,now 2.0.3-2~201906121747~ubuntu18.04.1 all [installed]

Client: 2.0.3
Server: 2.0.3-2-201906121747-ubuntu18.04.1

libtorrent: 1.1.5.0
I'm gonna use it like this for now, but I hope I could use the newest libtorrent!
(I hope I didn't f things up in the meantime inside the system....)
spookymulder84
New User
New User

Post by spookymulder84 »

spookymulder84 wrote: What bothered me in many occasion was how some torrents would get missing after a improper shutdown (probably not in proper shutdowns and systemctl stop)
I'd just like to report that it wasn't Deluge's fault, but some of the plugins I had.. ever since I removed them I have not lost torrents from the session at all. I'm not sure which one, but it might have been Total Traffic or Stats.. or maybe it was because I had two versions of Total Traffic inside the plugins folder (TotalTraffic-0.1-py2.7.egg and TotalTraffic-0.1-py2.6.egg).

Sorry for accusing Deluge