Why was Linux prioritized over Windows

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Mintmag

Why was Linux prioritized over Windows

Post by Mintmag »

Deluge is my favorite torrent client and Linux is the last OS I'd ever want to use. So why the strange priority with Deluge 2.0
mhertz

Re: Why was Linux prioritized over Windows

Post by mhertz »

Obviously the priority is what the almost sole-author uses, and I wouldn't even call it a priority, but just the nature of the beast that it obviously will work best in the environment its developed and tested in. There where issues with the packaging apps used for windows-packaging because of the updated libs used and hence the stall. Cas has done what he could and has asked for help from the community about this 10 months ago + filled bug-reports upstream. He has made progress and found a way to make it run on windows and described it, but there are still some issues like lack of default plugins and magnet associations not working. Deluge-2 was a major change, where the old practisses just didn't work for windows, but no need to stall the Linux version for that in meantime ;)
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

mhertz wrote:Obviously the priority is what the almost sole-author uses, and I wouldn't even call it a priority, but just the nature of the beast that it obviously will work best in the environment its developed and tested in. There where issues with the packaging apps used for windows-packaging because of the updated libs used and hence the stall. Cas has done what he could and has asked for help from the community about this 10 months ago + filled bug-reports upstream. He has made progress and found a way to make it run on windows and described it, but there are still some issues like lack of default plugins and magnet associations not working. Deluge-2 was a major change, where the old practisses just didn't work for windows, but no need to stall the Linux version for that in meantime ;)

Oh right, wait so Deluge is being made by one guy?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Currently, pretty much, yes. BTW, monitor this ticket for changes in the windows situation, which Cas made 11 months ago asking for help and describing the current issues prevailing.

https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/3201
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

Sorry for the late reply can we expect a Windows exe any time in the near future?
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Might we be looking at weeks or months for the windows version?
Has their been progress towards this?
Or are we waiting for something that's out of 'our' hands, i.e. not something Cas can fix, but something the libs need fixing.

The explanation for this delay isn't that clearly explained.
If it was detailed a bit, then it'd be easy to understand and wait.
A roadmap, checklist of problems to resolve before completion perhaps?
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

topbanana wrote:Might we be looking at weeks or months for the windows version?
Has their been progress towards this?
Or are we waiting for something that's out of 'our' hands, i.e. not something Cas can fix, but something the libs need fixing.

The explanation for this delay isn't that clearly explained.
If it was detailed a bit, then it'd be easy to understand and wait.
A roadmap, checklist of problems to resolve before completion perhaps?
These 2 threads talk about a work around installer some members of this forum have been working on:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55463

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55404
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

Thanks for all your help guys but I think I'll use QBittorrent at this point. They have a 64Bit installer and deluge is slowing down quite badly for me.
Rucker
New User
New User

Post by Rucker »

How stable is the QBittorrent's 64bit version? Have they improved it a lot?