v2.0.3 under Debian 9

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
cbrace

v2.0.3 under Debian 9

Post by cbrace »

Hi all,

As I indicated in an earlier post, I succeeded in getting v2.0.3 running under FreeBSD. I am now trying to do the same on a system running Linux Mint LMD3, which is built on Debian 9.

However, the build command is failing here:

Code: Select all

~/deluge-2.0.3$ python setup.py build
[...]
Warning: libtorrent (libtorrent-rasterbar) not found: Deluge 2.0.3 requires libtorrent >= 1.1.2.0
Unfortunately libtorrent on Debian 9 is frozen at v1.1.1

I could compile a later version of libtorrent (and its dependencies), but is kind of a hassle.

Anyone have any ideas for running v2.0.3 in some kind of container like docker?
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: v2.0.3 under Debian 9

Post by gderf »

I run a lot of things in dockers including multiple instances of Deluge on a Debian 9 based system. I did run the 2.0.3 Deluge in a docker and had only a few minor cosmetic problems until I discovered that the plugins I needed and that worked on 1.3.15 didn't work on 2.0.3. So I am stuck on 1.3.15 in dockers until those things are fixed.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Couldn't you just add a PPA for new libtorrent and deluge 2, seeing you use mint(ubuntu-derivative)?

Edit: I'm sorry I forgot the "Debian-based" part.
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

I saw links to the deluge2 and libtorrent PPAs hosted on Launchpad by Cas in an earlier thread. However the LMD flavor of Mint is not based on Ubuntu but directly on Debian. As such, the general advice is against using Ubuntu-based PPAs in LMD. If it were otherwise, I would have already done so.
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

gderf wrote:I run a lot of things in dockers including multiple instances of Deluge on a Debian 9 based system. I did run the 2.0.3 Deluge in a docker and had only a few minor cosmetic problems until I discovered that the plugins I needed and that worked on 1.3.15 didn't work on 2.0.3
Can you give me a very general idea about how one creates a docker environment? I've never done it.

For example, would it be possible to create a docker using the latest libtorrent and deluge 2.0.3 Ubuntu packages available on Launchpad that would run on my Debian 9 system?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

FWIW, the only plugin I use is Auto-add, and that seems to work fine under 2.0.3
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

Look around for info on getting started with Docker. Here's one link: https://docs.docker.com/get-started/

A docker image for a program contains everything needed to run the program in the general docker environment. That is to say a properly created docker image will have the proper support programs it needs within the image. Basically, it's all self contained and you don't have to add anything into it.

You don't need to create your own docker images unless you can't find one that already exists and that meets your needs. Basically, someone has already done all that for you. Just seek out and find the image. https://www.linuxserver.io/ is a good starting place to find quality images and also is a good starting point for general howto type information.

The Docker learning curve can be quite steep. But once you have gotten your first one working you'll do fine. You must read the documentation for every image you want to try using before them, so do not skip that step.

Good luck.
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

Many thanks! I see there is an Ubuntu-based 2.0.3 docker image here: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/deluge

Will investigate further...
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

I've just found an opensuse repo for current libtorrent packages for debian 8 and 9. Following the instructions on the author's forum post, I added this repo:

# echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/qbittorrent/Debian_9.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qbittorrent.list

# rm -f Release.key

# wget -nv http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:qbittorrent/Debian_9.0/Release.key -O Release.key

# apt-key add - < Release.key

# apt update
These libtorrent packages were then available and I installed them:

libtorrent-rasterbar9/unknown 1.1.13-1~obs amd64 [upgradable from: 1.1.1-1+b1]
python-libtorrent/unknown 1.1.13-1~obs amd64 [upgradable from: 1.1.1-1+b1]
python3-libtorrent/unknown 1.1.13-1~obs amd64 [upgradable from: 1.1.1-1+b1]
I then again tried installing 2.0.3 on my LMDE3 (debian 9) system.

python setup.py build ran without error, but python setup.py install failed:

[...]
src/twisted/test/raiser.c:4:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
 #include "Python.h"
                    ^
compilation terminated.
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc' failed with exit status 1
A quick Google search took me to a bug report on the twisted github site: src/twisted/test/raiser.c:4:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory

The error appears to be caused because the python3-dev package is missing, so I installed that.

However the install command still fails at this point :?

Before asking at the github page I thought I would mention it here in case anyone has any ideas.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

Problems like this are why you should use dockers.