v2 under FreeBSD: lookin' GOOD!

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
cbrace

v2 under FreeBSD: lookin' GOOD!

Post by cbrace »

Hi all,

A few days ago I installed v2 from tarball on a spare NAS and on a laptop, both running FreeBSD. I started by installing the dependencies listed in DEPENDS.md. Some of the packages have different naming conventions under FreeBSD. Here's the complete list:

Code: Select all

intltool
 closure-compiler
 py36-twisted
 pyOpenSSL
 py36-OpenSSL
 py36-rencode rencode
 py36-rencode
 py36-xdg
 py36-xdg-utils
 xdg-utils
 py36-six
 py36-zope.interface
 py36-chardet
 setproctitle
 py36-setproctitle
 py36-pillow
 py36-dbus
 py36-distro
 py36-libtorrent-rasterbar
 py36-GeoIP2
 py36-mako
 libnotify
I used the package manager (pkg) but if you compile from source feeding this list to portmaster should also work.

I now have deluged v2 running on the NAS and deluge thin client v2 on the laptop running xfce4. As far as I can see everything is working fine. The new GTK3 interface looks very spiffy indeed! Great work, congrats all around.

I understand that the v.1 "torrents.state" file is incompatible with v.2. I don't mind keeping my v1.3.15 installation running in parallel for the time being, but can we hope that some kind of migration mechanism made available in due time??
cross

Re: v2 under FreeBSD: lookin' GOOD!

Post by cross »

Thanks for the post, cbrace! I was just coming to look at deluge update 2.0, as I have been running a FreeBSD deluge server for many years.

You mention the torrents.state file not being compatible. Is there any path to upgrade a deluge 1.3 seedbed to 2.0? I mean, I could just load it all up and re-attach all of the torrent files I guess, but that's many hundreds and finding all the right ones in my torrents directory would be error-prone at best.

Would love to hear if anyone has suggestions for an upgrade procedure for a server. FreeBSD, or otherwise. Thanks!
cross

Post by cross »

Some of the packages have different naming conventions under FreeBSD. Here's the complete list:

Code: Select all

py36-GeoIP2
A note, that package isn't useful. That is the newer supported geoip2 module, but deluge still is looking for the old legacy module. So it doesn't even try to use what's installed by py36-GeoIP2. It fails to load the one it's looking for, which is optional, and proceeds without it. FYI...
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

Thanks for the info about geoIP2.

I too have many hundreds of torrents still in an instance of v1.3. Because they are saved across various folders, importing them all manually would be an arduous undertaking. Still hoping a solution to this is in the pipeline...
cross

Post by cross »

So, I stopped looking at this months ago, and have been hoping that the ports maintainer of deluge would supply a deluge2. But, AFAICT that hasn't happened. That would really be the right answer here.

Secondarily, on the front of updating, I wrote a script to search through and try to remap torrent files, but I don't remember if I completed it. If I give up on waiting for someone to provide a working deluge2 port, I'll clean that work up.

If anyone else gets to this thread, and knows anything about deluge 2.0 on FreeBSD, please respond. :-)
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

Thanks for keeping an eye on this topic, @cross. The port is still at v.1.3.15, even though python2.7 is now deprecated. The port is marked to expire on March 1, whatever that means. Ref: https://www.freshports.org/net-p2p/deluge/

Also, as you may have noticed py-libtorrent-rasterbar is marked as broken and has been superceded (?) by py37--libtorrent-rasterbar11 Ref: https://www.freshports.org/net-p2p/py-l ... rasterbar/

The maintainer is: rm@FreeBSD.org Maybe one of us should write to him?

I still have an instance of 1.3.15 running with around 1600 torrents, as mentioned previously. Sure would would be nice to have an upgrade path. In the meantime, I am leaving the system as is.
cross

Post by cross »

Yeah, I've been talking with rm@freebsd and yuri@freebsd. Yuri has updated libtorrent-rasterbar (and py-libtorrent-rasterbar) after an upstream issue that broke it for FreeBSD was fixed. I'm hoping rm@ will be able to resume the deluge 2 work he was doing late last year that was blocked by the py-libtorrent-rasterbar issue...
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

I see on Freshports that as of 22 April deluge is at v2.0.3, which is good news. As I mentioned earlier, I currently have an instance of 1.3.15 running with about 1,600 torrents. It would be nice if I could upgrade this installation without having to manually re-add all these torrents, which would be laborious indeed. Anyone know if there is a way to do this?
cross

Post by cross »

I just this week updated to 2.0.3 on my FreeBSD box, and it looked to be working. All of the old torrents show up. Although, I've just discovered now that it seems not to be making network connections. So, new torrents don't download, and trackers are reporting me as not seeding. (Though deluge shows I'm seeding everything.)

More later, but at least it maintained state. I'm trying to fix it and get it working properly now.
cross

Post by cross »

Okay. So, as mentioned in my other topic (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55691), it seems that my inability to talk to the outside world was based on trying to specify an incoming port. I don't know why.

Now that I have Random Incoming Port checked, and have UPnP mapping it through my router, all seems to be working. FYI, @cbrace