[Feature request]: rename Deluge v2 config folder .deluge2, prevent breaking v1.3.x settings

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Pippo
New User
New User

[Feature request]: rename Deluge v2 config folder .deluge2, prevent breaking v1.3.x settings

Post by Pippo »

Since Deluge v2 Client 'breaks' the settings for v1.3.x Client (on macOS at least), renaming the folder ~/.config/.deluge2 would allow upgrading to v2 without losing the old settings for Deluge v1.3.x.

Deluge v2 could simply import from or copy and upgrade the .deluge folder from v1.3.x; this way we'd be able to run v1.3.x and v2.x side by side (e.g. with older servers while still testing v2).

Would this be an option?
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: [Feature request]: rename Deluge v2 config folder .deluge2, prevent breaking v1.3.x settings

Post by gderf »

You could run Deluge in dockers and have full control over the .config naming.
Pippo
New User
New User

Re: [Feature request]: rename Deluge v2 config folder .deluge2, prevent breaking v1.3.x settings

Post by Pippo »

Docker is your answer to everything, isn't it?

Just kidding.

I solved this with a wrapper script that starts deluge by pointing it to a separate config folder like so:

/usr/local/bin/deluge-gtk -c ~/.config/deluge2

Now I can keep using the native macOS v1.3.15 Client for an older headless server while getting used to the new v2 setup (which is running in docker, as per your advice).

The only downside: I don't get to see the nice new v2 icon in the macOS dock, as I used Platypus to build a simple GUI launcher, and since that launches the wrapper script now instead of deluge-gtk directly, I don't get to see 'my' Deluge2 icon but the generic Python icon instead. Yeah, Mac users, I know.

Still, I believe going with a .config/deluge2 folder for v2 in general would be a cleaner approach for the new version.

Cheers
Pip