"Completed" torrents incomplete upon "Force Re-check"

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
ambipro

Re: "Completed" torrents incomplete upon "Force Re-check"

Post by ambipro »

You always impress me with your plugins my friend, @mhertz :)

Based on what I understand and your description of the plugin, this may provide a solution until we get more details and reproducible (even in their environment) conditions....if it's just random, this could prove very hard to effectively nail down.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're an awesome guy ambipro, and great asset here, besides my friend, thanks for saying that, appreciate you brother :)
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

Yes but it is the last version in Linux Mint repositories, so we cannot update it

After this I minded and established that I cold have many hard shutdown at a time, around 2 monthes ago and I could have discovered some file corruptions only recently, but all were perhaps made at this time 2 to 3 months ago, what is against this theory is that I have never this with single file torrents

Thanks for the plugin , so @Mhertz
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Menard wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:51 pm
[...]

Thanks buddy, you're welcome :)
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Menard wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:51 pm Yes but it is the last version in Linux Mint repositories, so we cannot update it

After this I minded and established that I cold have many hard shutdown at a time, around 2 monthes ago and I could have discovered some file corruptions only recently, but all were perhaps made at this time 2 to 3 months ago, what is against this theory is that I have never this with single file torrents

You can manually add the deluge repository and get the latest version of deluge very easily - https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Ins ... Repository

Use the PPA style and get it directly from "here"...there is nothing keeping you from using other sources besides mint's. That's the beauty of linux.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

ambipro wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:04 pm
You can manually add the deluge repository and get the latest version of deluge very easily - https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Ins ... Repository

Use the PPA style and get it directly from "here"...there is nothing keeping you from using other sources besides mint's. That's the beauty of linux.
That's what is totally not recommended par the Mint team (or otherwise they would have included it in their repository)
I have only 3 exceptions, Libre Office, Google Chrome, Brave browser
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

Though there is an interesting bias for science here? I realize that Single file torrents are those I keep less time in the client as I keep the several files torrents longer because I can allways decide to add more files to my download, but it takes time to review the files to download and those to not, so at the end when I decide to force recheck to back up and delete the torrent it has been a long time for files to be victims of data corruption ... This can explain that
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Menard wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:00 pm
That's what is totally not recommended par the Mint team (or otherwise they would have included it in their repository)
I have only 3 exceptions, Libre Office, Google Chrome, Brave browser
The "Mint Team" is trying to protect you from adding malicious/deprecated repositories, not trying to keep you from getting the latest up-to-date version of the software from the developer's official repository. They don't want you to arbitrarily add a bunch of other repositories and end up with conflicting/deprecated versions or malware/rootkits/etc...

There is no reason to not use Deluge's official repository, there is nothing wrong with using any "non-mint default repositories", and there is no reason that they haven't got the latest version on their repository other than no one has updated it at mint.

This is how it is with a lot of software, especially in the open-source community. If you rely strictly on what Mint provides through its repository, and they aren't keeping you up to date, you leave yourself open to bugs, vulnerabilities, and missing features that have been added in later versions - and you gain nothing.

If you run the latest version of Mint, you are completely capable of _RUNNING_ most current versions of stable/beta software made for debian/ubuntu...bugs will exist like with every piece of software, but Mint "forbidding" users to use any repository other than their own is FUD. Any Linux enthusiast will tell you that they use non-default repositories without issue when necessary.

If the software is not kept up to date in a repository, and an official repository is available from the developer, then it becomes necessary to use the developer's repo. That's why this functionality exists in linux.

The choice is yours, but buying into this fear of "any repo that isn't mint's is bad because they said so" is foolish. Know what you are installing and where you are installing it from, if you meet those two criteria, there is no issue with using non-default repositories.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

ambipro wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:14 pm
You know we are on 2.1.1 now, and libtorrent is on 1.2.x and even has a 2.0.x branch that Deluge supports...

I'm kind of hoping you typo'd and it's supposed to be 2.0.3, because 1.0.3 is crazy old...I mean I've seen people sticking with 1.3.5 or whatever, but 1.0.3 (1.1.13.0) is deprecated as hell. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if you came up to the current version (or at least 1.3.5) and a current version of libtorrent if these issues went away.

If it is 2.0.3 and not 1.0.3, I would still recommend updating to 1.2.x of libtorrent, as a lot of protocol and improvements were made, or if you are feeling froggy you can go to 2.0.8....1.1.13 is from like 2018-19...
Now I am with Deluge 2.0.3 and it is the same problem, I lose very much time with this... because when the download seems to end and when doing the backup I must verify all and then do a Force recheck and then download the missing parts and then check the md5 again... and then back up ... and then check the back up's md5.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

I don't know what to tell you, you are still several versions behind and the problems you seem to have are probably because of a setup you've chosen and not because Deluge is broken.

If it was Deluge, there would be many more reports of this behavior.

Rechecking does the same process that downloading does (SHA-1 check on each piece) and if you just completed the download and it shows 100%, then there is no reason why it would immediately show a different result after downloading. If it does, this is due to libtorrent and not Deluge.

As I've said, you are on outdated libtorrent as well, upgrading could potentially solve your problems. Otherwise I'd venture to say it was your setup or hardware.

But, as you've given us very little except vague details about your setup it's next to impossible for anyone to give you advice. Once again, it's basically "It's not working tell me what's wrong" and no context.