Bash script to change the listen_ports

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Ouroboruss

Bash script to change the listen_ports

Post by Ouroboruss »

Hey guys!

I am trying to write a bash script which changes the listen_ports depending on the result of a CURL request (the port my VPN provider uses for forwarding changes if connection is lost)

Im very new to scripting so im not sure what I am doing wrong but I suspect its because its sending the variable names to Deluge as apposed to the variable values. This is the part of the scirpt I cant get to work:

deluge-console "config --set listen_ports ($PORT,$PORT)"

I suspect it is treating the variable names as a string but I have tried all kinds of ways to comment them out so they show up as variables with no success. can anyone recomend how I could get this to work?

Thanks
mhertz

Re: Bash script to change the listen_ports

Post by mhertz »

I myself use:

Code: Select all

json=$(curl 'xxxxxxxxxx' 2>/dev/null)
deluge-console "config -s random_port false; config -s listen_ports ($(echo ${json:26:5}), $(echo ${json:26:5}))"

You obviously cannot directly use that, but just for reference. Anyway, your issue is that you need to have '$PORT' defined before you can use it, just like in my example where I instead use the variable-name 'json'.
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

Hi mhertz

The thing is the script already defines $PORT before that part of the code is ran please see full code below:

error( )
{
  echo "$@" 1>&2
  exit 1
}

error_and_usage( )
{
  echo "$@" 1>&2
  usage_and_exit 1
}

usage( )
{
  echo "Usage: `dirname $0`/$PROGRAM"
}

usage_and_exit( )
{
  usage
  exit $1
}

version( )
{
  echo "$PROGRAM version $VERSION"
}

port_forward_assignment( )
{
  echo 'Loading port forward assignment information...'
  if [ "$(uname)" == "Linux" ]; then
    client_id=`head -n 100 /dev/urandom | sha256sum | tr -d " -"`
  fi
  if [ "$(uname)" == "Darwin" ]; then
    client_id=`head -n 100 /dev/urandom | shasum -a 256 | tr -d " -"`
  fi

json=`curl "http://209.222.18.222:2000/?client_id=$client_id" 2>/dev/null`
  if [ "$json" == "" ]; then
    json='Port forwarding is already activated on this connection, has expired, or you are not connected to a PIA region that supports port forwarding'
  fi
 PORT=$(echo $json | awk 'BEGIN{r=1;FS="{|:|}"} /port/{r=0; print $3} END{exit r}')
deluge-console "config -s listen_ports ($PORT,$PORT)"
echo $PORT
  echo $json
}

EXITCODE=0
PROGRAM=`basename $0`
VERSION=2.1

while test $# -gt 0
do
  case $1 in
  --usage | --help | -h )
    usage_and_exit 0
    ;;
  --version | -v )
    version
    exit 0
    ;;
  *)
    error_and_usage "Unrecognized option: $1"
    ;;
  esac
  shift
done

port_forward_assignment

exit 0
Im not 100% on what the error sections do but its the port_forward_assignment method which I have adapted from another script. As you can see the $PORT variable is declared before the deluge-client line. Is it the way I have used the variable? I notice you have curly brackets round yours?

Thanks for your help
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hmm, yeah I see you have defined the port beforehand so it looks right but I cannot test as doesn't have a PIA VPN subscription anymore.

However, before I changed to another VPN provider, then I had PIA and I just found the lines I used and so know those works:

#!/bin/bash

client_id=`head -n 100 /dev/urandom | sha256sum | tr -d " -"`
json=`curl "http://209.222.18.222:2000/?client_id=$client_id" 2>/dev/null`
deluge-console "config --set listen_ports ($(echo ${json:8:5}), $(echo ${json:8:5}))"
(I see now I actually don't need the 'echo' commands in there, but doesn't hurt either though, just redundant.)

The curly-braces is because of using parameter-expansion to getting solely the number extracted from the variable(and not the "Port: " part), instead of using 'cut' or 'sed' or 'awk' etc, but that's a "special" thing, and not something you normally need when using variables.

Good luck :)
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

That is very handy to know thanks!

I think the script does actually work and its openVPN which is failing to run the script on the route-up command, not sure why though

Out of interest is the :8:5 somthing to do with selecting only the number also?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're welcome, let me know if I can help you otherwise, I'm sorry I don't know why the script won't run then. Indeed, it means only output from the 8th character and then also the next 5 ones(port-number is always 5 chars here), it's quicker than using sed or cut to cut the number out and ditch the text(I took the script provided by PIA and simplified it/cut cruft out).
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

Do you use OpenVPN to run the script or do you just run it manually?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I used to let openvpn run a script for me, but currently I have a script defined to run every time a torrent or magnet is selected in a browser, which then starts the VPN if not running already and gets port forwarded etc adds torrent, and then another script to start VPN with port and deluge afterwards to use on-demand, as I don't torrent full-time. I use a split-setup as only want the torrenting to go through VPN and everything else unprotected for better speed/performance.

Have you script-security 2 enabled in config and you need full path to up/down script even though it's in openvpn dir.

Run openvpn from terminal and check output and/or log files to see what the issue is.
Ouroboruss

Post by Ouroboruss »

Thanks for the suggestions, script-secutity 2 is enabled and full path is being used.

I have run the congifg in verb 3. The script starts but hangs on the first bit where it echos 'Loading port forward assignment information...'

Ill see if I can simplify the code like yours, see if that helps.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, I still don't know the solution, but will post back if finding the answer. I tested adding my own port-forwarding lines in a script added to be run by openvpn and as you state, it dosen't work. After a lot of testing, it still doesn't work, but here's some pointers atleast.

You need full path to commands in the script. Also, I read that the script run from 'up' needs to finish before openvpn will let any packets out on the interface - that sounds strange since the directive is named 'up' but whatever. It was recommended to run another script from the original script, as it would then bypass this issue, so in the first script you e.g. add just:

exec /etc/openvpn/client/vpn2 &
And then add the "real" script in 'vpn2' script instead. Still no luck for me as of yet :(

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't help solve this, yet atleast.